Robert Heaton RHODES 
- Born: 9 Mar 1815, Epworth LIN
- Marriage (1): Sophia Circuit LATTER  on 16 Mar 1868 in Lyttleton Canterbury NZ
- Died: 1 Jul 1884, Elmwood Christchurch NZ aged 69
Robert Heaton Rhodes
Member of the New Zealand Parliament for Akaroa
In office 26 January 1871 - 18 February 1874
Canterbury Provincial Council
31 Aug 1853 - 12 Dec 1862
13 Jun 1866 - 28 February 1874 resigned. 5thAkaroaIndependent
Rotherham, Yorkshire, England
Died1 June 1884 (aged 68 or 69) at his residence Elmwood
RelationsWilliam Barnard Rhodes (brother) George Rhodes (brother)
ResidencePurau, Banks Peninsula, then Elmwood in Christchurch
The original Elmwood was built for Robert Rhodes (1815-1884) on the north side of Heaton Street near Circuit Street which was named for his wife, Sophia Circuit Latter. It was set back from the road amid large trees (possibly elms). On Rhodes' death, his son Sir Heaton Rhodes (1861-1956) took over the property and kept a small herd of red poll cattle on the land. The house was destroyed by fire in 1882 and rebuilt in 1884 as shown in this photograph. It was the venue for many garden parties and charity events and a holiday residence for Governors-General. It was eventually demolished in 1954 to make way for Heaton Intermediate School. Elmwood Park was gifted to the city by Sir Heaton
Christchurch Press Saturday August 16th, 1930
The best known in public life are the members of the Rhodes family who lived in Canterbury was Robert Heaton Rhodes. Born at Rotherham, Yorkshire, in 1815. Robert Heaton was the third of the six sons of William Rhodes of Epworth, and later of Plains House, Levels, near Epworth, England All of the sons but John came out to New Zealand, but Peter stayed only of matter of months, returning to the old country shortly after his arrival here in 1843.
Robert Heaton Rhodes on attaining manhood learned farming and surveying, and was 25 years of age before he emigrated to New South Wales (in 1840). During the eight or nine years he spent in that colony he once drive a mob of cattle overland to Adelaide. When Robert Heaton reached Australia, his brother, William Barnard, was already established, with interests in shipping and whaling concerns, which took him frequently to the shores of New Zealand. The accounts that he brought back of the prospects there were not wasted upon Robert Heaton, and about 1848 or 1849, he also decided to change his surroundings. He was already in New Zealand in May 1849 for he attended the Queen's birthday dinner in Wellington. On arriving in Canterbury Rhodes took up his residence at the main station at Rhodes Bay, Purau, which had been purchased from the Greenwood brothers in 1847. Three of the brothers William, Robert and George [died 1864], were thus established in New Zealand before the first four ships arrived in Lyttelton. They were busy washing sheep at Purau when the first two ships sailed into the harbour. The Rhodeses were remarkably successful in breaking new country, and in the management of their flocks. From time to time they brought sheep and cattle across from Australia, and before long they had thoroughly stocked three stations on the Peninsula.
In December 1850 on the eve of the arrival of the Pilgrims, they made application for a large area of land south of the Rangitata River, on which they proposed to establish the first pastoral run in South Canterbury. Godley reported in the middle of 1851 that they had driven a flock of 5000 sheep from their peninsula properties to stock the new run. They had the greatest of difficulty in getting the sheep across the Rakaia river, and at the end of three days they had almost despaired when supplely the sheep took it into their heads to cross and made no further trouble. On June the 30th 1851 the Rhodes brothers applied for a run between the rivers Opihi and the Makikihi, about 15 miles along the coast and about the same inland.' But the land which they at first occupied extended only as far as the Pareora River.
In January 1852, the brothers started south with 7000 sheep assembled from their various Peninsula stations, and the schooners Henry and Kaka sailed from Lyttelton carrying stores to the roadstead of Timaru. They were most successful with their new adventure. In 1853 the clip from the Levels was shipped from the Timaru roadstead not far from the boundary of the property. The flock was increased to 30,000 by 1858, and a few years later to over 100,000. At this time the property comprised three runs, amounting in all to a 159,000 acres. The old hut built when the brothers first went on the station still stands in the garden at Levels.
It was from Levels station that Mackenzie in 1855 drove of a flock of 1,000 sheep and took them to the country afterwards known by his name. He was captured and sentenced to imprisonment, but after he had escaped three times the authorities were glad enough to deport him from New Zealand. besides the station the brothers had land which is now in the borough of Timaru, and in 1856 they laid out just north of the Government township a town of their own, most of the streets bearing the names of members of the family. On George Rhodes who came to Canterbury in 1843, fell the main responsibility for the management of the South Canterbury estate. After his death in 1864 it fell upon Robert Heaton. In 1865 Levels was sold to the Hon. Matthew Holmes on behalf of a land company.
Robert showed in his business dealings and management of the various estates a keen foresight, tireless energy, and thrifty husbandry which did much to consolidate for fortunes of the family. The profits were invested widely and wisely mostly in pastoral land, some of which was in the North Island. In Hawke's Bay the family had interests, and there the youngest son Joseph who had spent two years in the early Forties looking after the cattle on Banks Peninsula took a prominent part in public affairs. He was for sometime deputy superintentant; was a member of the Provincial Council for the whole period (1859-76) and for the executive from 1864-1869.
Robert Heaton took and early interest in the public affairs of Canterbury. He was elected to the first Provincial Council as one of the members of Akaroa, which he represented until 1861. He was then member for Port Victoria and at the general Election in 1862 he was returned for the Bays, but he resigned his seat at the end of that year. In a character sketch about this time the "Lyttelton Times" said: "The Prince of Squatters, Robert Heaton Rhodes, sits on Mr Peacock's left. A plain man is he, of ripe age, indulging in no flights of fancy or dreams about the moon. The everyday business of life is sufficient for him, and wisely and profitable has he applied himself to master it." He spoke generally on economic subjects, but not very fluently, and with a decided tendency to stammering. Having cast his lot so far south, Robert Heaton always championed the interests of the out districts. In 1854 he complained in the public Press that the voters in the far south had so little interest in common with those of the Christchurch country district 200 miles away that they could not be expected to enroll themselves.
In 1869-70 Rhodes was a member the Jollie executive and in 1870 he was for a short time deputy superintendant during the absence of Rolleston from the Province. At the general Election early in 1871 he was elected to represent Akaroa in Parliament, and he was very active member until a bad illness compelled him to resign his seat. (February 1874) and go abroad for the benefit of his health. He spent four years in Switzerland and England. On returning to the colony, Rhodes took no further part in public life, but continued actively to supervise his financial and landed interests. He paid much attention to draining and developing Rhodes' swamp, afterwards known as Marshland, which was situated on the canal reserve near Horsehoe Lake, Christchurch. This work cost him over 5000 pounds. He held stock in many of the more important colonial companies, including the NZ Shipping Company. On leaving Purau in 1866 he came to Christchurch, living in Mr Peacock's house until his own, Elmwood, Papanui, was ready for occupation.
Robert Heaton Rhodes died on June 1st 1884 leaving a widow, three sons and four daughters. He had married in 1858 Sophia Circuit, a daughter of Robert Latter of Lyttelton. The sons were Robert Heaton (now Sir Heaton Rhodes, M.L.C.) George Edward (Christchurch) and William Heaton (who died at Oxford in 1894). The daughters were Mrs W. A. Willies, Mrs Allister Clark, the late Mrs E.D. O'Rorke and Mrs Major Hunter Blair. Robert Heaton Rhodes was a most beneficent citizen of Christchurch always generous to philanthropic movements. In memory of his brother George he gave the tower and eight bells to Christchurch Cathedral: and the children of George Rhodes gave the spire in memory of their father. These gifts gave a great impetus to the completion of the Cathedral. Amongst the family of George Rhodes were Robert Heaton Rhodes of Blue Cliffs, South Canterbury, and A.E.G. Rhodes who was a member for Gladstone in 1887-90, and for Geraldine in 1890-93.
The New Zealand branch of the family were not the first Rhodes's to go abroad. One branch established itself in America two generations before the time of William Barnard and his brothers: and one of its members George Wood Rhodes returning to England was created a baronet in 1919. His son, the present baronet married first a daughter of George A. M. Buckley, formerly of Canterbury.
Otago Witness, 2 September 1887, Page 21
Rhodes - On the 30th August, at Hadlow, Timaru, the wife of E. Timaru Rhodes, of a son.
North Otago Times, 16 September 1889, Page 2
BIRTH. On the 15th instant, at Oamaru, the wife of E. Timaru Rhodes, of a daughter.
Otago Witness, 14 April 1892, Page 25
Rhodes - On the 8th April, at Hadlow, near Timaru, the wife of E. Timaru Rhodes, of a son.
Otago Witness, 23 January 1886, Page 17
Rhodes - Hackworth. - At All Saints' Church, by the Rev. A. R. Pitchett, E. Timaru Rhodes, of Timaru, to Mildred Julia, second daughter to James Hackworth of North Dunedin.
Wanganui Herald, 13 October 1887, Page 2
Mr Timaru Rhodes towers in body, if not in intellect, above his New Zealand compatriots.
Timaru Herald, 13 February 1892, Page 2
Rhodes'97 Moorhouse. '97 At St. Augustine's Church, Waimate, on the 10th February, by the Right Reverend Bishop Harper, assisted by the Revs. C. C. Coates and E. J. Sothan, Arthur Edgar Gravenor, third Hon of the late George Rhodes, to Rose, youngest daughter of the late James William Moorhouse.
Timaru Herald, 11 February 1892, Page 2
A large number of people assembled yesterday morning at about half-past 11 o'clock, at St. Augustine's Church, Waimate, when Mr A. B. G. Rhodes, of Christchurch, was married to Miss B Moorhouse, of Waimate. The ceremony was performed by Bishop Harper, assisted by the Rev. Mr Coates, of Lyttelton, and the Rev. Mr Gotham, of Waimate. The bride was dressed in white satin edged with ostrich tips, and was given away by her cousin, Mr M. Cuthbert Studholme. She was attended by eight bridesmaids. Mr Beswick, of Wellington, acted as groomsman. The brie and bridegroom drove from the church, followed by the guests, to the Waimate homestead, where they were received by Mrs Studholme. The guests from the north arrived here per special train at about 11 o'clock. Among the guests were noticed '97 Mrs Rhodes (Wellington), Mr and Mrs T. Rhodes (Timaru), Mr and Miss Moorhouse (Wellington), Mr and Mrs Barker, Mr and Mrs Boyle, Major and Mrs Steward, Bishop Harper, Rev. Coates and Mrs Coates (Lyttelton), Rev. and Mrs Gotham, Mr and Mrs Parker (Waimate), Mr and Mrs Meason (Timaru), Mrs Bradshaw, Mr Douglas (Waimate), Mr and Mrs Hassell (Waimate), and Mr Thierens (Otaio).
Evening Post, 15 February 1892, Page 2
On Wednesday last, at St. Augustine's Church, Waimate, Mr. A. E. G. Rhodes, M.H.R. , was married to Miss R. Moorhouse of Waimate. The ceremony was performed by Bishop Harper, assisted by the incumbents of Lyttelton and Waimate.
Star 10 February 1892, Page 3
A Wedding Peal.'97 The Christchurch Cathedral bells were chimed to-day from 11.45 a.m. till twelve o'clock, on account of the wedding of Mr A. E. G. Rhodes, which took place at Timaru at the same time. A marriage peal will be rung on the bells from four to five this afternoon in honour of the occasion.
Evening Post, 14 January 1910, Page 9
The Christchurch Press announces the engagement of Miss Doris Cargill, second daughter of Mrs Archie Cargill, Dunedin, granddaughter of Mrs Cutten, to Mr. Timaru Rhodes, son of Mrs Thomas and the late Mr Timaru Rhodes.
Nelson Evening Mail, 11 January 1894, Page 2
Death from Blood Poisoning.
Timaru, This Day, Mr E T. Rhodes, fourth son of Mr George Rhodes, a pioneer settler of South Canterbury, died this morning from blood poisoning. He caught cold while acting as a judge at the Caledonian sports. He was a popular young man, and his untimely death is much deplored.
New Zealand Tablet, 26 January 1894, Page 19
I must now refer to an event which has cast a gloom over every one in the district, Catholic and Protestant alike '97 that is the death of the late Mr Ernest Timaru Rhodes. This young gentleman met his untimely end through the effects of cold caught while acting as judge at the Caledonian Sports on the second day of the New Year. The deceased gentleman, though from position and wealth belonging to the upper strata of our community, was essentially a man of the people. Popular, young, wealthy and generous, he was admired, respected and sought after by all classes of the community An item which bespeaks his liberality is that when John Dillon arrived and visited Timaru on behalf of the evicted tenants, Sir Rhodes was in Dunedin and was approached by Mr Mahoney about the visitor's reception, with the result that when the Irish delegates arrived Mr E. Rhodes's carriage and four greys were at the station to receive Mr Dillon and convey him to the hotel. His cheque was also there. The funeral, which was the largest ever seen in Timaru, and was representative of all classes in the community, took fifteen minutes to pass a given point, and on arrival at the cemetery about half those attendant were unable to get near, The ladies of the Sacred Heart Convent sent a handsome wreath, a cross of pure white flowers with a mourning circle of purple pansies around the angle of crossing.
Timaru Herald, 15 January 1894, Page 3
FUNERAL OF E. T. RHODES.
Seldom in the history of Timaru has co widespread interest been shown m the last rites of a deceased person, as was shown on Saturday in the funeral of the late E. T. Rhodes. He was so well known, was so generally popular, and was connected with
Otago Witness, 15 October 1902, Page 30
The Governor has taken the residence of Mr George Rhodes, of Claremont, for a term from November 1, and will probably spend the summer at Timaru.
LAND FOR SETTLEMENT. GOVERNMENT PURCHASES CLAREMONT ESTATE.
Timaru, 15th March. Information has been received that the Government has purchased the Claremont estate of 3000 acres for settlement. The homestead is a large mansion erected by Mr. J. H. Rhodes, and was once taken for a summer by Lord and Lady Ranfurly. The property is nine to eleven miles from Timaru.
1881 England Census
Name: Arthur E.G. Rhodes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Where born: Timaru, New Zealand
Civil Parish: St George
Street address: 56 Coleshill Street
Occupation: Law Student
Registration district: St George Hanover Square
Sub-registration district: Belgrave
29 June 1901
Te Koroho: the private residence of Mr A.E.G. Rhodes, the Mayor of Christchurch, who placed his homestead at the disposal of the Duke and Duchess.
Evening Post, 11 May 1914, Page 7
Much regret was expressed in Christchurch on Saturday last when it became known that Mr. George Hampton Rhodes, formerly of Claremont, Timaru, had died at his residence, in St. Albans, after a long illness. Mr. Rhodes was the fourth son of the late Mr. George Rhodes, of the Levels Station, and Mr. Arthur E. G. Rhodes, of Christchurch and Mr. R. H. Rhodes, of Bluecliff's, are brothers of the deceased gentleman, whilst the Hon. R. Heaton Rhodes, Postmaster-General, and Mr. G.T. Rhodes are cousins. The late Mr. George Hampton Rhodes was born at the Levels Station on 13th February, 1862, and was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and Jesus College, Cambridge. On returning to New Zealand after his career at Cambridge Mr. Rhodes settled at Claremont, which property he held for about twenty-five years. Mr. Rhodes was president of the Timaru Yorkshire Society and a member of the South Canterbury Education Board. He took a great interest in steeplechasing, and won several races, including the Grand National. He was also greatly interested in agricultural matters, and was patron of the South Canterbury A. and P. Association. Of late years he had lived chiefly in England. He married Miss Alice Henrietta Thaerens, daughter of Mr. John Cornelius Thaerens, Otaio, South Canterbury, their marriage being the first to be solemnised in the Christchurch Cathedral. Mrs. Rhodes survives her husband, and there are two sons '97 Mr. John Heaton Rhodes, solicitor, of Christchurch, and Lieutenant Eric George Rhodes, R.N. '97 and one daughter '97 Miss Hilda Alice Rhodes. The funeral will take place at Timaru tomorrow.
29/01/2013 Timaru Herald
Claremont House, 222 Mt. Horrible Rd, is a the 10 upstairs bedroom house built in a neo-Gothic style for George Hampton Rhodes (born at the Levels Station on 13th February, 1862) as a wedding gift to Henrietta (Miss Alice Henrietta Thierens of Otaio), his bride in 1884, from bluestone quarried on the property, white facing from a Teschemaker property and roofing slates from England, at a cost of £5000. Has carved chalk Prince of Wales feathers on the roof peaks [The brand for Blue Cliffs is the Prince of Wales feathers. His brother, R.H. Rhodes, owned owned Blue Cliffs]. Rhodes owned 4000 acres (1600ha) of land, including Mt Horrible, apparently named because surveyors spent a ghastly day assessing the land in the cold and wet. Has a sweeping driveway and grand grounds. Rhodes subdivided the land and sold five plots in 1895. It became a Marist Brothers' training centre. It was St Joseph's Novitiate for aspirants from 1932 to 1998 A chapel was built in 1955. Has a formal dining room, full sized billiard room, study and large kitchen. There was a former cemetery where monks were buried faded temporarily but the bodies were reinterred at Temuka Cemetery in 1999. Two of the brothers were reinterred for a second time, for they had originally been laid to rest in Nelson, where they had worked at an orphanage. Bob Young recalls how the house was "as cold as charity" and the hours they spent in the vegetable garden to maintain the self-sufficient order. Seeing the beautifully coiffured gardens now, it is hard to imagine that 40 novices with 40 hoes worked in a row, weeding systematically. There was a glass conservatory until the mid 1940s at the end of the veranda. Plans were found in the attic, there is also a well at the back of the house, but it is no longer visible. Additional buildings on the property include two two-bedroomed units for visiting clergy. Stables have been turned into garaging and the former 40-roomed dormitory is now a reception hall. It presently sits on approximately 35 acres of farm land and is surrounded by well established gardens. The interior is superb, finished with imported mahogany, the roof is made of welsh slate bought over as ships ballast. True to its neo gothic style no two windows or doors are the same. It is now used as a private residence, wedding venue and an exclusive Lodge for visiting travellers. The adjoining buildings include a chapel complete with bell tower. There is a large building used for wedding receptions and conferences and other accommodation suitable for staff or friends and family.
Auckland Weekly News 3 May 1933 Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19330503-32-2
Evening Post, 18 July 1911, Page 10
The biggest and heaviest ship Dumbarton has ever seen has just been launched by Messrs. Denny. It has been built to the order of the New Zealand Shipping Company, and has been christened the s.s. Remuera, Mrs. A. E. G. Rhodes having performed the ceremony. Those who accepted invitations included Mr. and Miss Ward, Captain and Mrs Jaggard, Captain Greenstreet, Mr. Evans, Mr. J. R. Campbell (U.S.S. Co. of New Zealand) and Mrs. Campbell, Mr. R. Paterson (U.S.S. Co. of New Zealand). During the course of the luncheon which followed, Mr. James Denny presented Mrs. Rhodes with a beautiful jewelled pendant as a souvenir of the occasion. Giving the toast of "The Owners of the Ship," Colonel Denny spoke of the enterprise of the New Zealand Shipping Company in going in for larger vessels every time, and never scrupling to adopt new patents, such as the combination engine, the success of which they had proved. Captain Jaggard replied. Mr. Rhodes gave "The Builders," and Mr. Peter Denny responded. Generally speaking, the Remuera is similar to the Ruahine and Rotorua ; her length between perpendiculars is 484ft; breadth, moulded, 62ft depth to upper deck, 35ft.
Otago Witness Saturday January 23 1886 page 17 Marriage
Rhodes - Hackworth - At All Saints' Church, by the Rev. A.F. Fitchett, E. Timaru Rhodes, of Timaru, to Mildred Julia, second daughter of Hackworth, of North Dunedin
Timaru Herald 23 September 1887 Page 2
MR G. H. RHODES' WEDDING. Christchurch, Sept. 22. The first wedding in the Cathedral took place this afternoon, when Mr G. H. Rhodes, of Claremont, married the youngest daughter of Mr J.O. Thierens, of Otaio, Miss Alice Henrietta Thierens. The Primate officiated assisted by Rev. L.C. Brady, of Otaio. The best man was Mr J.C. Thierens, jr. There was a dense crowd in and around the building. The wedding breakfast was at the home of the bride's sister, Mrs. H.H. Pitman.
The following were some of the presents received by the newly wedded couple from:
Mr and Mrs T. Rhodes, glass and silver cruets
Mr Smithson, pair of china ornaments
Mr R. Smithson, figure painte on porcelain
Mr and Mrs Pitman set of carvers, stag-horn handles, silver mounted
Mrs Coster, gold glove-clasps
Miss Thierens, Lieutenant H. Thierens, R.N., and Mr J. C. Thierens, junior, ivory-backed hair-brushes and hand-glass, with silver monograms
Canon and Mrs Stanford, silver menu stands; Mr N. M'Farlane, pair of Japanese vases
Mrs W. Rhodes, Venetian caske
Miss Thierens, set of white satin and gold sachet
the Misses Archer, asparagus dishes
Miss Rhodes sapphire and diamond bangle
Mr A. Cox, hand-bell in oak and silver
Miss Smithson, gold bangle
Mr Thierens, letter desk
Mrs Reeves, worked cushion
Mr and Mrs Elworthy, plush scent-box and silver sugar basin and tongs
Mrs M. Studholme, travelling bag and fan
Mr T. Teschemaker, Japanese bracelet and set Japanese salt-cellars
Mr A. Cos, oak biscuit box
Mr and Mrs Armitage, pair vases
Miss Thierens and Mr Thierens, Jun., six silver napkin rings
Misses Daisy and Muriel Teschemaker, silver sugar basin and tongs
Mr Applin, case brushes
Miss Emily Rhodes, tortoiseshell card case
Miss Amy Rhodes, ruby glass and silver salt-cellars
Mrs Wardrop, silver gilt sugar basin and sifter;
Mrs Laing Meason, prayer and hymn books
Mr and Mrs M. Teschemaker, silver and cut-glass claret jug
Mr and Mrs Hamlyn, set of books
Mr C. Delamain, ivory and silver tobacco jar
Mrs J. Barker, case of scissors
Mr G. H. Rhodes, diamond star
Miss Bushe, cushion in Kutch embroidery
Mrs R. Rhodes, diamond, ruby, and pearl brooch
Mr and Mrs Godby, set dessert knives and forks
the employees of Claremont, silver and oak salad bowl
Mr and Mrs .Boyle, Indian paperknife
Mrs Kennaway, silver salt spoons
Masters L. and C. Pitman, cream jug
Rev L. C. Brady, ivory-backed prayer book
Mrs John Studholme, Japanese screen
Mr Richardson, china- cream jug and sugar basin
Mr Cecil and Miss Perry, silver butter knives
Mr and Mrs C. Miles, ivory and silver- knife rests
Mr and Mrs P. Barker, gong
Mr and Mrs Perry, silver entree dishes
Mr and Mrs A. W. Wright, alabaster candlesticks
Mr R. H. Rhodes, diamond and sapphire bangle
Mr and Mrs J. Rutherford, silver cream jug, sugar basin and tongs
Mr Matthias, photo frames
Mr and Mrs C. Perry, silver knife rests
Mr E. Clissold, photo frame and glass boat
Mr Hook, painted globe and plate
Mr Arthur Rhodes, silver teapot
Mr Melville Gray, silver butter knife
Mr Cartwright, silver gilt fruit spoons
Star 23 September 1887, Page 2 MARRIAGE.
Rhodes'97 Thierens.'97 Sept. 22, at the Cathedral, Christchurch, by the Most Rev the Primate, assisted by the Rev Canon Stanford, and the Rev. L. C. Brady, George Hampton Rhodes, of Claremont, South Canterbury, to Alice Henrietta (Effie), youngest daughter of John C. Thierens, of Otaio, and grand-daughter of the late Rev. John Spurway, M.A., Rector of Pitt Portion, Tiverton, Devonshire.
Press, 13 February 1892, Page 4
Rhodes'97Moorhouse '97At St. Augustine's Church, Waimate, on the 10th February, by the Right Rev. Bishop Harper, assisted by the Revs. C. C. Coates and F. J. Sotham, Arthur Edgar Gravenor, third son of the late George Rhodes, to Rose, youngest daughter of the late -late James William Moorhouse.
Otago Daily Times 23 February 1892 Page 5 Mr A.E.G. Rhodes. Arthur Edgar Gravenor married Rose Moorhouse
On the morning of the 10th a large and fashionable gathering assembled at St. Augustine's Church, Waimate (says -the Press), to witness the marriage of Mr Arthur E. G. Rhodes, M.H.R., of Christchurch, and Miss R. Moorehouse, of Waimate. The ceremony was conducted by Bishop Harper, assisted by the Revs. Coates (Lyttelton) and Sotham (Waimate). The bride was charmingly dressed in a rich white satin, with a very long train, finished with ostrich tips, and wore a long tulle veil. Her bouquet, which consisted of white flowers and maidenhair fern, was tied with long white streamers, and her train was carried by two tiny bridesmaids dressed in cream silk. The bridesmaids, of whom there were eight, were dressed, three in pink silk, three in heliotrope, and two in cream. Miss Studholme, Waimate, was the principal bridesmaid.
Press, 11 February 1892, Page 5
Miss Studholme, Waimate, was the principal bridesmaid. Mr W. Barton, of Wairarapa, performed the duties of groomsman. After the ceremony was concluded Mr and Mrs Rhodes and guests were driven to the Waimate homestead, where they were welcomed by Mrs Studholme. A special train brought the guests from the North, and arrived in time to let its occupants get to the church, and see the bride given away by her cousin, Mr Cuthbert Studholme, of Waimate. Among the guests were Mrs Rhodes (Wellington), Mrs Rhodes (Christchurch), Miss Rhodes (Christchurch), Mr and Miss Moorehouse (Wellington), Mr and Mrs Barker, Mr and Mrs Boyle, Major and Mrs Steward, Rev. C. Coates and M:s Coates, Mr and Mrs Hassell, Rev. Sotham and Mrs Sotham, Mr and Mrs G. H. Rhodes (Timaru), Mr and Mrs G. Laing-Meason (Timaru), Mr and Mrs Bradshaw (Hook), Mr and Mrs Parker, Mr Douglas (Waimate), Mr Thierehs (Otaio),Mr Tripp (Timaru), Mr H. J. Beswick (Christchurch), Mr T. Teschemaker (Otaio). The newly-married pair subsequently left by the express for the South.
Otago Witness 27 January 1898 Page 43
On January 12 Dr Walter Perry, of Timaru, was married to Miss Castellain, of Bath, England. The ceremony took place at "Meadowbank," Christchurch, the residence of Mrs George Rhodes, sister of the bridegroom. The Rev. Mr Anson officiated, and the bride '97 who only arrived from England a few weeks ago'97 was given away by Mr Heaton Rhodes. She wore a lovely dress, though not an orthodox wedding gown. The skirt, which was gathered, was of rich green ottoman silk, with full bodice of lovely pompadour brocade, the neck profusely trimmed with lace, and smart white velvet and silk toque with ostrich feathers finished with a bunch of pink rosettes. She was attended by two charming little bridesmaids '97 Miss Ethel Rhodes and Miss Avis Rhodes, who wore sweet frocks of white embroidered muslin and picture hats. The bride's travelling dress was composed of blue cloth skirt and coat faced with white opening over a vest of heliotrope brocade, and white floral toque. Amongst the many handsome presents received by the bride were a gold and pearl muff chain from the bridegroom, a handsome diamond pendant from her father and diamond crescent from her mother, all of which worn on her wedding day. Owing to the serious illness of the bridegroom's father only members of the family were present, including Mr and Mrs George Rhodes, Mr Cecil Perry, Mr Frank Perry, Mr Herbert Perry (brothers of the bridegroom), Mr and Mrs Heaton Rhodes, Mr and Mrs George Rhodes (Claremont), Mr and Mrs Arthur Rhodes, and Dr and Mrs Thomas (Timaru). The bridegroom was attended by his brother, Mr Frank Perry, as best man.
Press, 17 October 1912, Page 1
CORDNER'97 RHODES'97 On September 25th, at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, by the Rev. Archdeacon Jacob; Edward O'Cinidi, eldest, son of the late Dr. Cordner, Rakaia, to Ethel Mildred, oldest daughter of the late Timaru Rhodes, Hadlow, Timaru.
Wairarapa Daily Times 3 May 1919 Page 5
The marriage took place at St. Matthew's Church, Dunedin, on Wednesday, of Miss Dorothea Nell Holdsworth, second daughter of Mr Charles Holdsworth, managing director of the Union Steam Ship Company, to Captain A. E. T. Rhodes, M.C. (Canterbury Mounted Rifles), son of the late Mr Timaru Rhodes.
Colonist 8 May 1919 Page 4 RHODES'97HOLDSWORTH
The Union Steam Ship Company's offices at Dunedin and the vessels in port were decorated with bunting on the occasion of the marriage at St. Matthew's Church of Captain A. E. T. Rhodes, M.C. (Canterbury Mounted Rifles), son of the late Mr Timaru Rhodes, to Miss Dorothea Nell Holdsworth, second daughter of Mr Charles Holdsworth, managing director of the Union Company. The bridesmaids were Miss Neroli Knight (Racecourse Hill) and Miss Una Rattray (Dunedin), while the bridegroom was supported by Captain R. P. Harper, D.S.O., M.C, D.C.M. (Canterbury Mounted Rifles), in the capacity of best man and Lieut. George Reid (of Oamaru) in that of groomsman. In addition, to these some half-dozen brother, officers who served through the war with Captain Rhodes formed an unofficial guard of honour. Captain Rhodes served the full limit of the war. He was the first man to enlist in Timaru, and went away with the Main Body with the rank of sergeant. He served through the Gallipoli campaign, in which he was wounded, and later saw some service in France and two years service in Palestine, where he was promoted to be aide de-camp to Brigadier-General Chaytor. The union was solemnised by the Rev. Canon Curzon-Siggers. After the ceremony there, was a reception at Mr and Mrs Holdsworth's residence in High street, and later Captain and Mrs Rhodes left for the north by motor. A dance was held in the Early Setters Hall in the evening.
Evening Post 8 March 1920 Page 9
Evening Post 15 January 1920 Page 9
The following items of..interesting news are sent by The Post's London correspondent, under date 14th January :'97 The engagement is announced between Lieut. Commander Eric George Rhodes, R.N., second son of the late Mr G. H Rhodes, of Claremont, Timaru, and Mrs. Rhodes, of Christchurch, and Gonda [Yonda] Elizabeth, second daughter of the late Mr. T. Teschemaker, of the Otaio, Timaru, and Mrs. Teschemaker, of Middleton, Christchurch. Lieutenant-Commander Rhodes has recently been appointed to the Inter-Allied Commission of Control (Austria).
Timaru Herald, 12 April 1919, Page 3
A quiet wedding took place at St. Mary's Church on Wednesday last, when Mr James Innes of Stony Greek, was married by the Rev. J.H. Rogers to Miss Moana Rhodes, second daughter of Mrs C. E. Thomas and the late Mr Timaru Rhodes. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr T. R. Rhodes, wore a handsome white georgette wedding dress, made with hanging panels back and front, edged with fringe and embroidered in white flowers and beads. Her veil was of tulle, caught with orange blossoms, and she carried a lovely white shower bouquet. Her two bridesmaids, little Misses Dendra Rhodes and Sheila Cordner, looked very sweet in pink crepe de chene, with cream hats of lace and georgette, and touches of pink. They carried pink and white posies with streamers. Mr John S. Innes, the bridegroom's brother, was best man. A wedding breakfast was held at Hadlow, the residence of Mr and Mrs Timaru Rhodes.
Evening Post, 13 October 1932, Page 15
Many old friends throughout New Zealand will learn with regret that a cable has been received in Christchurch announcing the death in England of Mrs. Arthur E. G. Rhodes, the result of an accident, which took place last Sunday. Mrs. Rhodes, as Miss Rose Moorhouse,. daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Moorhouse, pioneer Canterbury settlers, spent a great deal of her early life with her mother, at the home of her aunt, the late Mrs. Michael Studholme, at "The Waimate," a beautiful country place near Waimate South. She was a great- horsewoman and "sport" generally, and a very popular, clever girl. She paid some visits to Wellington, and. stayed with her aunt, the late Mrs. Sarah Rhodes, of "The Grange," Wadestown. In the year 1892 Miss Moorhouse was married to Mr. Arthur Rhodes, who was Mayor of Christchurch, and they took a leading part in the entertainment of the present King and Queen when they visited New Zealand, lending them their fine home, "Te Koreha," during the time they spent in Christchurch. Mrs. Rhodes was well known in the South for many good works, and in the war-time was a prominent helper in many of the causes. She left early this year for a visit to England, and was on the point of returning when her death occurred. Mrs. Rhodes was a Lady of Grace of St. John of Jerusalem. She leaves a son, Captain Tahu Rhodes, M.V.O., who is in England, and a daughter, Mrs. Hutton, wife of Major G. Hutton, D.S.O., of Bangor, Hawkins, and nine grandchildren.
The first known letter addressed to Timaru was a letter sent in July 1857 by William Rhodes to his brother George '96 who set up the Levels sheep station in 1851. The letter was delivered to George at Plains House, on Beach Road which no longer exists but was located by the Landing Service building.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project
Robert married Sophia Circuit LATTER  [MRIN: 11216] on 16 Mar 1868 in Lyttleton Canterbury NZ. (Sophia Circuit LATTER  was born on 19 Jul 1833 in MDX London and died on 16 Oct 1906 in Tunbridge Wells KEN.)