Dr Edward John COMPLIN 
- Born: 1830, St Sepulchre Holborn LND
- Christened: 26 Sep 1830, St Sepulchre Holborn LND
- Died: 29 Oct 1855, Crimea aged 25
- Buried: Haidar Pasha Cemetery, Istanbul
Edward was educated at the Merchant Taylor's School, he was enrolled in 1839 and then completed a 7 year apprenticeship with his father. Going on to St Thomas Hospital London he earned his MRCS degree in 1851. In 1855 while serving as assistant surgeon on the Dreadnought Hospital Ship Greenwich, associated with St Thomas's Hospital, he enlisted for medical service in the Crimean War. He was sent to Smyrna and then to the Palace Hospital at Scutari. His kept a journal from February 22 1855, the date he recorded his appointment as assistant surgeon to the British Civil Hospital at Smyrna. The last entry in his hand was August 22 afterwhich it must be assumed he fell fatally ill, dying of enteric fever 29 October aged 25th.
The last entry in the diary was:
"Edward John Complin M.D. born September 1st 1830
died October 29th 1855 at
Palace Hospital Scutari
buried British Cemetary Scutari"
Ref: G McAdam 2014
HAIDIR PASA CEMETERY, Istanbul, Turkey Transcript - Sacred to the memory of Edward John Complin, civil assistant surgeon attached to the British Army in the Crimea, who died deeply lamented Oct 29 1855, aged 25 years.
Ref: Joan Coren 2012 http://levantineheritage.com/pdf/haidarpashacem.pdf
1. Census: England, 30 Mar 1851, St Sepulchre Saffron Hill MDX. Edward John is recorded as an unmarried son aged 20 a medical student born St Sepulchre MDX.