Charles James ALSTON 
- Born: 25 Jun 1812
- Christened: 1 Aug 1812, Nayland SFK
- Died: 1878 aged 66
Charles was Articled as a Clerk to his father's legal practice in 1827 the Articles were assigned to his uncle Samuel in 1830, he was unmarried.
Records of professional dealings by Charles
Bury PRO HB 516/65/9 & 10 photos (2004)
About the time of Charles birth, in a letter dated London 25 Aug 1812 to his father from his friend E Blair is the following reference " When my tenant Creek came last to town to petition for the renewal of his lease, he told me your lady has a vessel on the stocks, but was unable to determine what time it would be launched. I was unwilling therefore to visit you at a venture, lest I should arrive at the unseasonable time of the groaning; which though you have not mentioned it, I presume must now be over".
My Dear Sir,
Merchant Taylor's School, E.C.,
March 14, 1895,
. . . . . There is no other Alston in our Register till 1820 when Edward Alston b. 13 Dec. 1810 and Charles Jas. Alston
b. 25 June 1812 entered together, but of these nothing is recorded.
I am, my dear Sir,
(Rev.) WILLIAM BAKER (D.D.),
Alstoniana Pg 382
Charles became of unsound mind and is recorded in the 1841/51/61/71 Census as resident in a Lunatic Asylum
C 211/34/2 26 Victoria : Alston, James: of Blacklands House Asylum, Chelsea, Middx 1863 Apr
PRO C 211 Chancery: Petty Bag Office: Commissions and Inquisitions of Lunacy
1. Census: England, 7 Jun 1841, Lunatic Asylum Witham ESS. Charles is described as a patient, aged 28 a student in law, born ESS
2. Census: England, 30 Mar 1851, Maldon Rd Witham ESS. Charles is recorded as C A aged 38 a patient in a Lunatic Asylum born Nayland Suffolk
3. Census: England, 8 Apr 1861, Tompkins Lunatic Asylum Witham ESS. Charles is recorded as a patient aged 41 unmarried born Nayland SFK
4. Census: England, 2 Apr 1871, Lunatic Asylum Maldon Rd Witham ESS. Charles is described as CA a boarder unmarried aged 58, law student born Nayland SFK lunatic