George Charles HAWKER MLA JP MP 
- Born: 21 Sep 1818, LND
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth SEYMOUR  on 16 Dec 1845 in Trinity Church North Terrace Adelaide SA
- Died: 21 May 1895, The Briars Medindie Adelaide SA aged 76
A Reuter telegram from Adelaide says that the Honourable G C Hawker Member of the South Australian House of Assembly for North Adelaide, died yesterday. Mr Hawker who was speaker of the house from 1860 to 1865, had been dangerously ill for some time past.
The Times Wednesday 22 May 1895.
The Late Hon. G. C. Hawker and Family.
The following is taken from the "Parish Leaflet" o1f July :- On Sunday, June 3, Archdeacon Bussell dedicated two tablets in St. Michael's Church, Bungaree, in the presence of a congregation of over 50. One tablet was to the memory ot George Charles Hawker, his wife (Lady Hawker), and several of their children.
The other tablet is over the font, which has been erected to the memory of those members of the: congregation who had fallen in the Great War, and in thankfulness for those who returned.
The first tablet was erected by the sons and daughters of the late G. C. Hawker and Lady Hawker, and the second by Mrs. Walter Hawker.
The late G. C. Hawker left England shortly after he had taken his degree at Cambridge, just before he completed his 21st year, and he was accompanied by his younger brother (Charles Lloyd Hawker). His brother James Hawker had come out to South Australia previously with Governor Gawler. G. C. Hawker's first experience of sheep-farming was at Anlaby ; and, when he and his brothers started on their own to take up country, they bought ewes from Mr. Fred.; Dutton, of Anlaby, at £2 10s per head. They built their hut at Bungaree themselves. This formed the homestead till the new house was built in the sixties. In this hut Mr. E W. Hawker and his two elder sisters were born. The blacks were exceedingly troublesome and dangerous when Bungaree was first taken up, so much so that men, when going about the run, had to be armed.
James Hawker sold out and left in 1843 for the Murray.
Charles Hawker took Anama as his share and lived there with his wife and family.
On his death, Mr. G. C. Hawker bought Anama and incorporated it with Bungaree.
In 1845 G. C. Hawker married Miss Elizabeth Seymour, eldest daughter of Mr. Henry Seymour, of Killanoola, near Narracoorte. Mr. Seymour was an Irish barrister, and came to South Australia with his wife and family (among whom was his daughter Elizabeth) about the same time as George Hawker. Mrs. Hawker was only 20 when married, and had a very strenuous time at Bungaree, as they were often without any domestic help, and she had at times to cook for the whole station. It will interest Clare people to know that the late Mrs. Jarman, mother of Mr. T. Jarman, of " Rosebank," Clare, was nursemaid to Mrs. Hawker. In 1855 Mr. Hawker went to England with his family; and, during the two years of his absence, Mr. John Hope, father of Mrs. Christison, and one of Mr. Hawker's greatest friends, looked after Bungaree. Mr. Hawker came came back with his family in 1857 in the Schomburg, the finest passenger vessel of her time, and was wrecked off Cape Otway, Victoria. Fortunately no lives were lost; but the vessel went to pieces a few days after she was wrecked. Mr. Hawker took a very active part in politics. He was in Parliament 27 years, was Speaker twice, and held the portfolios of Chief Secretary and Minister of Public Works. He was to have been knighted for his services on the Queen's Birthday, but he died three days before, so the Queen conferred the honor on his widow. Mr. Hawker always picked good men as his employees, paid them well, and gave them full responsibility. As a result they served him well, and remained a long time in his employ. One of them, the late Mr. John Noble, was engaged by him in England in 1854 to come out to Bungaree. To Mr. Noble is chiefly due the high standard of the Bungaree sheep. He died at Bungaree in 1914. Mr. Hawker built the Bungaree Church of S. Michael's in 1864 and endowed it. His sons increased the endowment so that a service could be held every Sunday. Twelve of Mr. Hawker's grandsons were able to go to the front, and all of them went; and though several of them were severely wounded, only one, Major Lance Hawker, V.C., D.S.O., fell. The font is erected to the memory of the following members of the Bungaree Church who fell: Oscar Senhouse, George Eddington, and Edgar Reich, and in thankfulness for the return of Seymour Hawker, Stanley Hawker, Charles Hawker, Trevor Hawker, John Bagot, Walter Darmody, and Stanley Dack.
At the Service on June 3, the Archdeacon also dedicated two new orfreys for the frontal, which Mrs. R. M Hawker has had made from a piece of work given to S. Michael's Church by Mr. Tovey. The following returned men, some of whom came in uniform, attended the Service :- Sergt. Hautken, Corpl. Turner, Pte Smith, Corpl. A. R. Giles, and S. H. Ashby, formerly of the Royal Navy.
Ref: Blyth Agriculturist (SA : 1908 - 1954) Fri 6 Jul 1923 Page 3
STATE FUNERAL. AN IMPOSING PROCESSION.
In the ordinary course of nature we cannot expect to have left much longer amongst us many of the band of pioneers who were in their manhood when they saw the settlement of South Australia, and afterwards fought in the peaceful but no lets arduous conquest of the country for over half a century. As one of our leading colonists said in effect at the public gathering in celebration of tha Jubilee year of South Australia, "fifty years is a very small period in the history of a nation, but it ia a large slice out of the life of a man." The roll-call of our most masterful settlers, who came here in the first ten years of our history as a oolony is of ever fewer survivors and more gaps in the ranks year by year. During the past few months the Register, which has chronicled the life history of the province and its public men from the outset of its career as a Crown colony has recorded the deaths of a number of more or less prominent pioneers who have borne a part in the national arena, and helped to leave inscriptions on the memorial tablet of progress. The late Hon. G. C. Hawker, the Father of the House," was a typioal pioneer colonist, taking rank amongst those hardy enterprising men who, like the early settlers of Ameriea, set their faces to conquer the wilderness, and won their way to wealth and honour by dint of determination, shrewdness skill, and that quality-the inheritance of the true Briton doggedness, the resolve not to be beaten. It is true that here the pioneer had no really formidable wily desparate foes in the form of man or beast to overcome at peril of his life, but he had the relentless drought with the blank dreary inhospitable desert to face, and men like the. Hon. G. C. Hawker, who was one of a small but courageous class of colonists, helped by their energy and pluck to put the pastoral interest on a firm footing, covering our plains with cattle and wide tracts with sheep, establishing the best breeds of horses, and making a market for wool and stock. Mr. Hawker's name bas been familiar to old colonists and their descendants for half a century; it has been a name honourably associated with private, public life and politics; his fine gentlemanly bearing, intellectual face, and statesmanlike style of speech added dignity to the debates, in Parliament, and in commercial and social circles he was noted for his courteous manner and accessibility. The State funeral to Mr. Hawker, which took place on Thursday afternoon. May 23, makes the ninth since the foundation of the colony. The first was that of Colonel W. Light, Adelaide's first Surveyor, whose honoured memory is toasted in silence by the newly elected City Council every year. That funeral took place in 1839; the next was that of Judge Crawford, who died in 1852; the third was the stately, imposing, semi-military funeral of His Excellency Sir Dominio Daly in February, 1868, when the cortege was swelled by a detachment of the the 50th Regiment (Queen's Own), then stationed in Adelaide, and the Volunteers. The fourth was that of his Honour Sir Richard Hanson, in March, 1876 ; and was followed in 1878 by the public funeral of Mr. Justice Stow, another typical colonist who had made his mark in politics. Judge Boothby, who died in 1868, was buried without any imposing ceremeny, he having expressed a wish to that effect. Sir George Kingston, pioneer colonist and politician, died at sea, otherwise he would have been buried with all the marks of publio appreciation of a long and distinguished career. Judge Wearing died at sea in that terrible time when the Gothenburg was wrecked. The sixth State funeral was that of His Honor the late Mr. Justice Andrews in 1881; the seventh, in 1877, was that of Sir B. D. Boss, who for many years was Speaker of the House of Assembly; and the eighth was that of the Hon. David Bewe, who died in Melbourne in February, 1891, and was buried at Wallaroo. The late Mr. Hawker's career has been suoh a public one, and his name was so widely known through the length and breadth of Australasia, that it would have been subject for oomment if his remains had been taken to their last resting-place without the public honours due to so stout a champion of colonial progress and pastoral enterprise. His funeral was a large one, but not so imposing perhaps as some of those which preceded it, because the cortege did not pass through the city, the place of burial being the North-road Cemetery, only a few hundred yards from "The Briars," the family residence of the Hawkers, which is situated in large grounds at Medindie just on the outskirts of the city. The roads in the vicinity of "The Briars" and down to the cemetery were lined with spectators, and the funeral procession itself was nearly a mile long. There was a very representative gathering of South Australians old and young many from distant parts of the colony-members of the Ministry, the Legislature generally, the Beach, the Bar, the City and Suburban Corporations, District Councils, public bodies, literary and scientific circles, commercial centres, and private citizens. By more accident six old colonists found themselves in the same cab, and on comparing notes found that their residence in the colony averaged fifty-three years. They were Messrs. J. Fisher (57 years' residence), A. Hay (56), S. Newland (56), Sir Samuel Davenport (52), T. Graves (49), and J. Aoraman (47). There was more than one old settler in the throng round the grave who said with pride that he remembered Mr. Hawker "forty years agone." Two hardy settlers, Messrs. Hamp and H. J. Giles, who worked for Mr. Hawker when he lived in his first slab hut, were also present.
On the members of the deceased legislator's family accepting the offer of the Government to accord his remains a State funeral the Chief Secretary set about the neccssary arrangements at once, and in order that the public servants might attend the Government offices were closed at 1 o'clock on Thursday. Special conveyances were provided for members of the Legislature, who assembled at parliament House at 1.30. the Mayor and members of the City Council assembled at the Town Hall at the same time and joined the line of vehicles which entered King William road en route for " The Briars." All along the way vehicles and horsemen swelled the procession, and by the time the hearse moved away from "The Briars" the column must have been quite a mile in length. The cortege took thirteen minutes to pass a given point, and consisted, in addition to the three mourning coaches and hearse, of 108 vehicles, containing altogether about 300 people. There were also a number of empty cabs, the drivers of which had refused the goiden opportunity to take fares, preferring to drive alone out of respect to the memory of the deceased. At the head of the procession were the officiating clergymen, followed by the medical attendants of the deceased (Dr. LL Marten and Dr. E. C. Stirling, O.M.G., F.R.S.). Then the chief mourners were in the first carriag Messrs. E. W. Hawker, W.P., M. S. Hawker, Manager of Bungaree, R. M. Hawker (sons), and J. C. Hawker (brother). In the second carriage were Captain J. C. Hawker, P.M.F., nephew ; C. M. Bigot. Secretary of the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society, son-in-Iaw ; Seymour Bagot, grandson; and the Hon. R. C. Baker, C. M.G., President of the Legislative Council, the family solicitor. The third carriage contained Charles Levinge and Seymour Smith, nephews. Following these were the Lieutenant-Governor's carriage, containing His Excellency's A.D.C. (Major Taylor). The members of the Ministry The Premier (Hon. C. C. Kingston), the Chief Secretary (Hon. J. H. Gordon), the Treasurer (Hon. F. W. Holder), the Commissioner of Crown Lands (Hon. P. P. Gillen), the Commissioner of Public Works (Hon. J. G. Jenkins), the Minister of Education and Agriculture ( Hon. Dr. Cockburn). The Hon. Sir Jenkin Coles, K.C.MG., Speaker of the House of Assembly, and the following other ex-members of the Executive Council entitled to the prefix of Honourable The Hon. A. Catt, M.P., the Hon. W. B. Rounsevell, the Hon. R. Homburg, M.P., the Hon. J. H. Howe, M.P. The President of the Legislative Council (Hon. R. C. Baker, C.M.G.), His Honor Mr. Justice Buntiey, and his. Associate, Mr. R. Andrews. The following members of the Legislative Council: Hons. H. Adams, A. R. Addison, M. P. Basedow, J. G. Bice, Dr. A. Campbell, J. Darling, J. J. Duncan, H. R. Fuller, J. H. Gordon, R. Guthrie, A. A. Kirkpatrick, J. Martin, G. McGregor, and W. A. Robinson. The following members of the House of Assembly: Messrs. W. O. Archibald, G. Ash, E. L. Batchelor, T. H. Brooker, T. Burgoyue, R. Caldwell, F. W. Coneybeer, H. E. Downer, R. W. Foster, C. Giles, H. A. Gruinger, R. Hooper, F. J. Houngan,.A. McDonald, I. MacGillivray, J. McLachlan, J. A. MoPherson, J. Moule, D Paekham, T. Price, W. R. Rcndell, G. Riddoch, J. T. Soherk. and R. Wood. Mr. C. J. Dishwood, Government Resident of the Northern Territory ; Hon. Dr. Emblin, M.L.C. of Victoria; and Messrs. A. Searoy, Assistant Clerk of the Assembly, and W. Wilby, Clerk. The members of the Parliamentary reporting staff of the daily Press and the messengers of Parliament were also present. Messrs. E. G. Blackmore, Clerk of the Parliaments, and F. Halcomb, Clerk of the House of Assembly, sent apologies. Sir Thomas Elder, G.C.M.G., Sir Samuel Davenport, K.C.M.G., the Hon. Sir John Downer, K.C.M.G., Sir E. T. Smith, K.C.M.G., Sir Charles Todd, K.C.M.G. (Postmaster-General). The Worshipful the Mayor of Adelaide Mr. C. Tucker). The Miliiary Commandant (Colonel Gordon), Captain Tomkinson, A.D.G. to the Commandant, and Captain Adams, Extra A.D.C., Brigade-Major Stuart. The Naval Commandant (Commander Oreswell), Chief Engineer Clarkson, of the Protector, and Lieutenant Smith, and Sub-Lieutenant Booker, of the Naval Reserve. The following beads of departments of the Civil Service: The Under-Secretary (Mr. L. H. Sholl), the Under-Treasurer (K. J. Gill), the Secretary to the Attorney-General (Mr. C. C. Cornish), the Secretary to the Commissioner of Grown Lands (Mr.G. S. Wright), the Secretary to the Commissioner cf Public Works (Mr. J. Mann), the Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Education (Mr. J. Bath), the Commissioner of Police (Mr. W. J. Peterewald), the Crown Solicitor (Mr. J. M. Stuart), Commissioner of Audit (Mr. E. Cooke), the Commissioner of Taxes and Insolvency (Mr. G. Russell, S.M.), Commissioner of Railways (Mr. A. S. Neili), the Engineer-in-Chief (Mr. A. B. Moncrieff), the Surveyor-General (Mr. W. Strawbridge), the Vice-Chancellor of the University and Inspector-General of Schools (Mr. J. A. Hartley, B.A., B.Sc.), the Collector of Customs and the President of the Marine Board (Mr. T. N. Stephens), the Sheriff (Mr. W. R. Booth by, C.M.G.), the Master of the Supreme Conrt (Mr. A. Buchanan), the General Traffic Manager (Mr. A. G. Pendleton), the Superintendent of Public Buildings (Mr. O. E. Owen Smyth), the Registrar of Probates (Mr. A. Stow), the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages (Mr. G. H. Aylifie), the Registrar-General of Deeds (Mr. F. F. Turner), the Ohief lnspsotor of Stook and Brands (Mr. C. J. Valentine), the Inspeotor- General of Roads (Mr. O. T. Hargrave), the Government Printer (Mr. C. E. Bristow). The members of the City Council (besides the Mayor) Aldermen Tomkinson, Buik, Sketheway, and Whelan, and Councillors Brioe, Bruce, Johnson, Bower. Darby, Hughes, and Oonrad, the Town Clerk (Mr. Thomas Wormop), the Inspector (W. Shakespeare), and other officers. Suburban Municipalities and Distriot Councils, represented by Messrs. T. White (Mayor of Kensington and Norwood), J. Wyles (Mayor of St. Peters), and Councillors Glover. Hames, McDougali, and Lodge, J. C. Bailey (Town Clerk), and S. Reeves (Collector of St. Peters Corporation), C. R. Morris (Mayor ef Port Adelaide), B. Gould (Mayor of Hindmarsh), and Councillors Hooking and Hnnwick (of Hindmarsh Corporation), T. Todd (Mayor of Semaphore), and Counoillor Paqnalin (of Semaphore Corporation), W. Weber (Mayor of Thebarton), R. Lewis (Chairman Prospect Distriot Council), and Conncillors Uren, Rawson, and J. LeCornu (Clerk of Prospeet District Oonncil), W. Cor (Chairman Walkerville District Council), Councillors Bickle, Nitschke, Simpson, Bothe, McDowell, and J. Nottage (Clerk), from Walkerville District Council; R. Woolnough, jnr. Woodville District Counoil; and W. Haines, Viee-President District Councils' Association, representing Teatree Gully Council. The Pastoralists* Association of South Australia and West Darling, represented by the Hon. J. L. Stirling, M.L.C. The Royal Agricultural and Hortocultural Society, represented by Messrs. W. Gilbert, M.P. (President), W. P. Auld, A. W. Sandford, A. W. Dobbie. R. H. Crawford, W. Haokett. W. Crawford, J. T. McLean, A. W. Ware, H. Kelly, F. Rymill, and J. A. Johnson. The Chamber of Manufactures, represented by Messrs. L. Grayson (President), J. J. Green, W. Forwood, T. Hack, H. Duncan, J. Stace, and G. Marks, The Zoological Society-Mr. Henry Seott (President) and Mr. A. C. Minchin (Director). Racing were directly represented by Messrs. Fred Ayere, J. A. Ellery, T. F. Wigley, J. Barker (members of the oommittee), H. Hughes (Handioapper), and A. O. Whitmgfcon (Secretary of the South Australian Jockey Club), and Messrs. T. Barnfield, W. Nicholls (committeemen), and S. R. Heeeltine (Secretary of the Adeliude Racing Club). The Adelaide Club, represented by the three trustees-Sir Samuel Davenport, Hon. R. O. Baker, and Mr. P. Levi, and the Secretary (H. J. Henderson). The S.A. Cricketing Association, represented by Messrs. G. M. Evan (who is also President of the S.A. Lacrosse Association) and J. CreBwell (Seoretary). Cricketers present were-Messrs. G. Giffen, J. J. Lyons, and W. F. Giffen. The Cyclists' Association of Sonth Australia, represented by Mr. L. P. Lawrence. The Medindie Literary Seoiety, represented by the Rev. S. Lenton and Messrs. E. Matthews, W. J. Harvey, and A. T. Hill. The North Adelaide Football Club, represented by Mr. G. Bickle. The Carters' Association, represented by Messrs. H. Bickle and J. Tonkin. There were a great many publio servants present, amongst whom, besides the beads of departments already mentioned, were:- Messrs. J. Gordon, M. (Police Magistrate), Y. L. Brown (Government Geologist), E. M. Smith (Deputy Surveyor-General), L. S. Spiller (Deputy Commissioner of Taxes), F. E. Benda (Seoretary to the Minister for the Northern Territory), B. Solomon (Government Assessor), E. J. Heath (Deputy Registrar-General), P. Whitington, Inspector Sullivan, Messrs. A. Lindsay (Chairman of the Destitute Board), M. W. Holtze (Director Botanic Gardens), G. L. Reed, E. P. Laurie, J. N. Hinee. M. Doswoll, T. H. Atkinson, E. C. Clucas, W. G. Rand ell, J. G. Ashton, W. H. Selway, jun., B. Hack, S. Randell, W. Rutt, W. T. Cooper, H. B. Middleton. W. H. Selway, jun.. W. C. M. Finniss, J. J. Watson, G. A. Goyder, E. Mtegraitb, J. Gardner, G. Stuart, J. W. Busaell. Amongst the hundreds of others who were either in the procession or round the grave were:- Messrs. E. M. Ashwin, J. R. Anderson, J. B. Austin, J. Aoraman, H. Ayers, Frank Ayere, Fred Ayers, A. EC. Angel, G. Alexander. Professor Bragg, Dr. Barlow, Messrs. S. Beddome, J. Bosworth, W. H. Beaglehole, J. Begot, T. R. Bowman, J. M. Borrow, W. Bickford, T. R. Bright, H. Boahm, R. Bax, D. Bell, tt. Berry (Uity Missionary), J. Barrow, G. Barnard, W. L. Beare, C. Batting. J. P. Bray, A. C. Belcher, W. F. Buwser, W. Binney, F. J. Botting, A. Boynes, J. H. Brown," W. R. Bain, S. Braund, A. Bickford, J. Bradley, F. W. Bullock. H. Bowen, D. Bell. Lieutenant- (Joloncl Claxton, Dr. Clindeuing, Meases. L. Cohen, J. Collins, J. W. Coeh, A. O. Chambers, R. N. Colley, H. Conran, W. Cuirass, T. Clarke, R. Cassen, W. B. Carr, T. Coward, R. A. Cue, W. C. Calder, P. Calf. Archdeacon Dove, Messrs. • W. Dean, G. Dean, David Davie?, L. A. Davles, G. S/Do Rose, W. S. Douglas, F. W. Dunn, A. M. Drammond. C. Drew, E. Day, F. H. Dowper, T. Day, H. Dutton, W. Davis. The Hon. Dr. W. H. Emblisg, M.L.C. (Victoria), Messrs. F. A. Ebsworth (Accountant of the Savings Bank), F.J. Eyre, A. Eilbourne, C. A. E. Eiliott, J. Egg9. Rev. T. Field, Messrs. J. H. Ficlavsoa, J. Fisher, S. Ferry, J. Fox, H. Field, J. Fielder, C. Fisher, C. H. Fisher. Messrs. 1'. Graves (Chairman of the Hospital Board). EL P. Gill, G. D. Green, D. Garlick. T. Giies, T. O'Hallotan Giles, J. Giles, T. GroBe. Messrs. A. Hay, C. J. Horrooks, P. MoF. Heriot (representing Mr. H. W. Hughes), G. W. Havvltes, E. H. Haliack, T. Easkew, G. Huntley, R. J. Hart, C. J. Hewitt, J. Hughes, W. Hsnsiey. G. N. Hardy, C. B. Hardy, T. Heming, R. E. H. Hope, R. W. Hall, W. Henderson, A. H. Harvey, C. Hemphill, H. Harno, W. L. Hereev, C. A.. Horn, P. Horn, W. Hailey, A. Hill, A. Y. Harvey, F. HaleB, Mrs. M. Hard man's carriage. Rev. R. Jones, Messrs. W. F. Jaoobs and E. Jarvis. Meesre. J. Keily, E. Kelly, S. King, R. H. Keisey, M. N. Kugelmann. Messrs. P. Levi, C. Lyons, J. H. Lyons, J. Lovely, H. Linde, V. Lawrence, J. H. Luxcaoore, J. Lloyd. Dean ftlavryat (Administrator of the Diocese of Adelaide), Revs. E. K. Miller and F. Mefccalf, Dr. Moore, Messrs. W. Mutr, A. K. Moore, H. T. Morris, C. P. Moody, A. jVIacCorrn&c, R. Martin, H. Martin, H. Mueoke, L. Mueoke, A. T. Mag are v, W. J. Magarey, J. F. Melior, W. McKittrick, T. B. Miller, J. Milne, A. Murray, W. A. Murray, J. G. R. Hurray, 3. McKenzie, P. McNamara, M. H. Madge. Messrs. E. P. Nesbit, Q.C., S. Newland, John Nortage. L. Norman. Rev. F. O'JSeill, Mr. J. O'Connell. Messrs. H. T. Phillips, W. H. Pbillipps, W. Pope, T. Pope, E. P. Pilgrim, C. Phillipson, J. Pater, A. J. Paoker, J. Powell, H. Pierson, J. Pile. Dr. Robertson, Messrs. C. A. Ring, W. Richman. H. J. Richman, R. Rees, A. liehder, E. Richman, W. Randell, H. C. Richardson, F. Rymill, J. Rounsevell, C. Hasp, E. Resdman. s - Dr. Stewart, Messrs. J. Shiels (Manager Bank of Adelaide), J. H. Symon, Q.C., R. Barr Smith, E. Van Ssnden, R. Strachan, T. E. Barr Smith, W. H. Selway, G. K. C. .Stevens, F. V. Sanderson, T. E. Scammell, R. F. Sholl, R. Sanders, G. ^tinth, L. Staples, P. Sparnon, S. J. Skipper, D. Sanders, P. R. Stow. Rev. J. Tuokwell (London), Messrs. R. K. Thomas, H. L. Todd, A. H. D. Tolmer, P. J. Tregenza, W. Thomas, A. Tennant. Messrs. J. J. Virgo, R. Verco. Professor Watson, Messrs. F. Wright (Consul for Italy, Denmark, Chili, and Spain), F. H. Wigg, P. Waite, C. Wade, W. R. Webb, G. Williams, J. Willis, G. Wiloox, R. F. Wyly, J. Wiltshire, W. Wright, Way Lee, R. Williams, E. H. Williams, E. Whitington, G. Wilks, R. Wills. Mr. C. B. Young. Fifty-six children ofjfthe Naileworth Model School, under the care of Mr. Cherry, formed up on both sides of the carriage-way, standing bareheaded while the cortege parsed. They then formed into procession, and marched in the rear of the oarriages. Each boy was neatly attired in mourning, and carried a bunch of white chrysanthemums in his hand, Which were csst upon the grave. Apologies were received from the following, who were unavoidably prevented from attending :-His Honor Mr. Justice Boncaut, Archdeacon Morse, Dean Kennedy, F. Halcomb (Clerk of the Assembly), Hon. D. M. Charleston, M.L.O.; T. Holland, Mayor of Unley; and the Hon. H. E. Bright, an old colleague; Alderman Kither, Councillor Cavanagh, Drs. T. K. Hamilton and A. A. Hamilton, and Messrs. Caleb Peacock, H. Mueoke, Allan MaoFarlane, T. J. S. O'Halloran, S.M., Arthur Short, W.J?., P. McM. Glynn, M. Salom, J. L. Bonython, Herbert Hughes, T. Tj. Browne, W. Copley, C. H. T. Cocnor, and R. B. Farrar. The ooffin, of polished oak with silver mountings, and covered with wreaths, was borne by the immediate male members of the family to the grave, and the impressive service of the Church of England was read by Archdeacon Dove, assisted by the Revs. W. S. Milne and F. Tower. The interior of the grave was lined with flowers, ohiefly chrysanthemums, foliage, and most, and for 2 ft. around the edge flowers were laid thickly. Wreaths were heaped within the iron railing surrounding the grave. A wealth of beautiful floral tributes was forwarded by Mr. and Mrs. Barr Smith, and Mrs. Mueoke, Mr. Beach, Mr. aud Mrs. Allan MacFarlane, Mrs. R. Hope, A.J.C. Committee, Mrs. John and Miss Baker, Mies Ross, Mr. and Mrs. F. F. Turner, Mrs. Christopher and Miss Bagot, the Prospeot Cricket Club, Mr. Herbert Hughes, the Royal Agricultural Sooiety, the Adelaide Racing Club, Mr. and Mrs. J. Bagot, the citizens of Clare, Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Horn, Misses J. Harris-Browne, Mrs. Melville, and Mrs. W. GOBBB, Dr. and Mrs. Humphry Marten, Mr. and Mrs. T. O H. Giles, Mr. P. A. Horn, Mr. and Mrs. C. Rasp, the Cyclists' Association, St. Cyprian's Congregation, Guild, and Athletic Club, Mr. and Mrs. J. Acramau, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Hawker and family, Miss Fiorenoe Hawker, Miss Lily Hawker, Miss Edith Hawker, the Medindie Crioket Club, Hon. R. C. Baker. C.M.G., Mrs. R. C. Baker, and Mrs. R. S. Hawker.
When the family returned to the house after the funeral the Hon. R. C. Baker, C.M.G.. who was Mr. Hawker's solicitor, read the will in their presence. The executors appointed are the Hon. R. C. Baker and Messrs. E. W. Hawkor, MP., and M. S. Hawker. The value of the estate is variously estimated, but it is safe to say that it will run into six figures, and that the first of these will not be the figure "1." Provision is made for an annuity of £2,000 a year to the widow, bequests are made to the six daughters, and the estate is divided equally among the six sons.
Ref: Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912) Fri 24 May 1895 Page 3
Image courtesy Vize-McCabe Family Tree
For more on the Hawker family see Vize - McCabe Tree on Ancestry 2012
George married Elizabeth SEYMOUR  [MRIN: 5224], daughter of Henry Conroy SEYMOUR  and Elizabeth DROUGHT , on 16 Dec 1845 in Trinity Church North Terrace Adelaide SA. (Elizabeth SEYMOUR  was born on 8 Sep 1825 in Eyecourt Ballymore IRL and died on 10 Jun 1901 in Rottingdean SSX.)