The Kings Candlesticks - Family Trees
Moses HAWKER [14754]
(Cir 1630-Abt 1734)
Mary GUMM [14755]

Capt James HAWKER RN [14752]


Family Links

1. Dorothea NICHOLLS [14753]

Capt James HAWKER RN [14752]

  • Born: 11 Jun 1730, Portsmouth HAM
  • Baptised: 23 Jun 1730, St Thomas Portsmouth HAM
  • Marriage (1): Dorothea NICHOLLS [14753]
  • Died: 27 Mar 1786, Plymouth DEV aged 55

bullet  General Notes:

James Hawker
Baptism Date: 23 Jun 1730
Baptism Place: Saint Thomas,Portsmouth,Hampshire,England
Father: Moses Hawker
Mother: Mary
FHL Film Number: 919725

James Hawker 1730-1786.
He was the son of a Plymouth wine merchant and his wife, the daughter of a local alderman. He became the father of Admiral Edward Hawker and the brother-in-law of Rear-Admiral Lucius O'Bryen.
Hawker entered the navy in 1743 aboard the Shrewsbury with Captain Solomon Gideon, as a servant to the ships first lieutenant, Lucius O'Bryen. He moved with the latter officer to the storeship Portsmouth which was at Lisbon in the early part of 1744, and he was employed thereafter with Captain O'Bryen aboard the Sheerness 20, Ambuscade 40 in 1746, Colchester 50 until 1748, the Unicorn 28, Captain Molyneux Shuldham, and the Peggy 8 once more with Captain O'Bryen who had that vessel from 1749-55. On 31 December 1755 he was commissioned lieutenant with his appointment to the Colchester, which was once again commanded by Captain O'Bryen. In 1757 this vessel sailed to meet the East India convoy at St. Helena, and two years later was with Admiral Sir Edward Hawke's fleet off Brest.
Hawker was promoted commander on 6 August 1761 and joined the bomb vessel Granado 8, serving in Rear-Admiral George Rodney's attack on Martinique in early 1762 before exchanging in March with Commander Stair Douglas of the Barbadoes 14, which vessel he commanded at Admiral Sir George Pocock's reduction of Havana in the summer. He later commanded the French prize Sardoine 14, recommissioning her in April 1763 and sailing for New York in July. Hawker earned some notoriety at the port of Charlestown in South Carolina where he spent most of 1767 by insisting that the merchant marine obey the law pertaining to the collection of Customs documentation. The Sardoine was paid off in March 1768.
He was promoted post captain on 26 May 1768, and in March 1770 recommissioned the Aldborough 24 in which was employed for the next three summers at Newfoundland, sailing out in May 1770, May 1771, and May 1772, and retaining her until the spring of 1773.
During April 1776 Hawker recommissioned the Mermaid 28 at Plymouth, going out to North America where in June of the following year he was cruising off Seal Island, near Cape Sable on the southern tip of Nova Scotia. When news was received of a rebel presence in the St. John's River he led the naval detachment sent to dislodge it, although in effect his mere arrival had the enemy scurrying for the woods around the harbour from where they were later driven off by the army. Remaining on that station, he joined Commodore Sir George Collier in thwarting a planned invasion of Nova Scotia by American forces at Machias, destroying their accumulated stores and inflicting a great deal of damage on the local American shipping. He also took the rebel privateer Active on 18 November.

Captain Hawker fought a ferocious but inconclusive and eventually controversial action with the French frigate Hermione in 1780
On 8 July 1778 the Mermaid was chased into the Delaware river by the Comte d'Estaing's fleet which had just arrived in the Americas from Toulon. Hawker ensured that all the ships' cannon and small-arms were thrown overboard before he drove her ashore on Assateague Island and surrendered to the Americans forces. Initially incarcerated, Hawker was released on parole as it was acknowledged that he had always treated his American prisoners with 'humanity and tenderness'.
In July 1779 he recommissioned the Iris 32, which was the ex-American frigate Hancock, going out to North America in November and cruising off Nova Scotia. On 6 June 1780 he fought the Hermione 36, Captain Réne Madeleine Le Vassor de La Touche Tréville, off New York in a bloody encounter which left both ships disabled, and seven killed and nine wounded on the British side as opposed to ten killed and thirty-seven wounded on the French side. The action was terminated, but by whom it was never established. The matter remained unresolved despite much correspondence, with La Touche Tréville insisting that his was the best vessel on the coast and that the British had ran away. The dispute was still emotive enough to incur Nelson's wrath against the Frenchman when La Touche Tréville commanded the Toulon fleet and Nelson the Mediterranean fleet some twenty-four years later.
Having exchanged with Captain George Dawson, Hawker returned to England with a convoy on 1 August 1780 in command of the Renown 50, and on 10 November he was appointed to the Hero 74 which he commanded at Commodore George Johnstone's action in the Cape Verde Islands on 16 April 1781, receiving special attention from the French admiral and flying his commodore's broad pennant in the subsequent chase. He left the Hero shortly afterwards due to ill-health, and returning from St. Helena aboard the Jason 32, Captain James Pigot, he saw no further employment but retired to Plymouth where he owned several properties.
Captain Hawker died on 23 March 1786 and a monument to his memory was erected in Charles Church, Plymouth.
Hawker was married to Dorothea O'Bryen, the sister of his early captain, and had three sons and five daughters. Three of his daughters married serving officers, these being Vice-Admiral Charles Boyles, Vice-Admiral Edward Oliver Osborn, and Rear-Admiral Sir Michael Seymour. Another daughter married Sir William Knighton who became the private secretary and keeper of the Privy Purse in service to King George IV. Two of his sons joined the army and one, Edward, became an admiral in the navy.
In his early days Hawker was a protégé of Admiral Sir George Pocock, the M.P for Plymouth, who arranged his promotion to the rank of commander.

HAWKER, JAMES (d. 1787), Captain in the navy, entered the service in 1744 on board the Shrewsbury with Captain Gideon. He was afterwards with Captain Rodney in the Sheerness, with Lucius O'Bryen in the Colchester, and Molyneux Shuldham. His passing certificate is dated 4 June 1755. On 31 Dec. 1755 he was appointed lieutenant of the Colchester, which in 1759 was attached to the fleet off Brest under Hawke. On 6 Aug. 1761 he was promoted to the command of the Barbadoes, and in April 1763 was appointed to the Sardoine. He was posted on 26 May 1768, and in March 1770 commissioned the Aldborough. In July 1779 he commanded the Iris, a 32-gun frigate, on the coast of North America, and in her, on 6 June 1780, fought a well-conducted and equal action wth the French 36-gun frigate Hermione, commanded by M La Touche Trevino, who died in 1804, vice-admiral in command of the Toulon fleet. After a severe combat the two ships separated, both disabled ; the Iris returned to New York, and the Hermione made the best of her way to Boston. La Touche was greatly mortified, as his frigate was by far the more powerful, and he had previously boasted that he would clear the coast of British cruisers. Some angry correspondence ensued, with the object apparently of determining which of the two ran away from the other. This was published in the 'New York Gazette' (BBA.TsoN, v.47), and created a very unfavourable impression of La Touches conduct, to which Nelson angrily referred during the time of his Toulon command (Nelson Despatches, vi. 105). It is said that during the action a chain-shot did a good deal of damage to the Hermione, on which La Touche remarked, "Voila une liaison bien dangereuse ! " it is, however, very doubtful if the Iris fired any chain-shot. On 1 Aug. Hawker was moved into the Renown, which he took to England, and on 10 Nov. was appointed to the Hero, one of the squadron with Commodore George Johnstone [q. v.] in Porto Praya on 16 Apri11781. He quitted the Hero shortly afterwards, and had no further service, dying in 1787. He left a family of three sons and five daughters, three of whom married naval officers, Admiral Charles Boyles, Admiral E. Oliver Osborne, and Admiral Sir Michael Seymour, bart. ; another daughter married Sir William Knighton, private secretary and keeper of the privy purse to George IV. Of the sons two entered the army; the third, Edward [q. v.], died, an admiral, in 1860.
[Beatson's Nav. and Mil. Memoirs; commission and warrant books; and other documents in the Public Record Office ; Memoir of Sir Michael Seymour, Bart. (privately printed 1878), p. 28.] J. K. L.

James Hawker
Probate Date: 24 Apr 1786
Residence: Plymouth, Devon, England

bullet  Research Notes:

Images courtesy of The Hawkers of Plymouth, Family Tree 2012


bullet  Other Records

1. The Hawker Family.
A Great British Fighting Family


James married Dorothea NICHOLLS [14753] [MRIN: 5228], daughter of Michael NICHOLLS [14772] and Elizabeth ALFORD [14773]. (Dorothea NICHOLLS [14753] was born on 7 Dec 1737 in Charles the Martyr Plymouth DEV and died on 25 Jan 1816 in Plymouth DEV.)

Copyright © and all rights reserved to Edward Liveing Fenn and all other contributors of personal data. No personal data to be used without attribution or for commercial purposes. Interested persons who wish to share this data are welcome to contact to arrange same and be given the details.

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Website was Created 4 Mar 2021 with Legacy 9.0 from MyHeritage; content copyright and maintained by