John Oliver YORK 
- Born: 12 Mar 1811, Stony Stratford BKM
- Christened: 23 Jan 1812, Stony Stratford BKM
- Marriage (1): Helen KINNAIRD  on 24 Sep 1831 in St George Hanover Sq Westminster
- Marriage (2): Caroline Pleasance ODDEN  on 30 Nov 1882 in Eastborne SSX
- Died: 28 May 1887, England. aged 76
Cause of his death was apoplexy after a prolonged illness.
John at the age of 21 and after pursuing a regular course of study in the office of civil engineer, became principal engineer of the Horsley Ironworks, Tipton Staffordshire.
Ref: Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers Obituary 1888
John was married by Licence granted 19 Sep 1831
John Oliver York is recorded as paying rates of L9 on a house in Duke St Westminster LND in 1838 and L2 13s 4d in 1840.
He was elected Associate of the Institute of Civil Engineers 16 June, 1840.
In 1853 John takes a contract for the construction of the railway from St Dizier, Haute-Marne, to Gray, Haute-Saone, in France and the same year obtained a concession for the lighting of the town of Seville, Spain, with gas. In 1855 John obtained from the French Government the contract for building the "Palais d'Industrie" in the Champs Elysees at Paris in which was held the International Exhibition of 1855, and on the completion of that work he was decorated with the Legion of Honour.
From 1856 to 1866 John was principally employed in constructing railways, under contact, in Italy. He laid down the lines from Rome to Ceprano, Rome to Frascati, and part of that from Rome to Ancona, in all a length of about 200 miles. During the same period he also constructed the railway from Launceston to Lidford, in Cornwall, and carried our several other engineering contracts.
Ref: Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers Obituary 1888 - G McAdam.
1. Census: England, 7 Jun 1841, St George Hanover Sq Westminster. John is recorded as aged 30 an engineer not born in the County.
2. Census: England, 30 Mar 1851, St Mary Lambeth LND. John O is recorded as a visitor married aged 40 a civil engineer born Stont Stratford BKM
John married Helen KINNAIRD  [MRIN: 4765], daughter of Hugh KINNAIRD  and Margaret ROSE , on 24 Sep 1831 in St George Hanover Sq Westminster. (Helen KINNAIRD  was born on 28 Jun 1809 in Edinburgh SCT and died on 14 Jan 1880 in London MDX.). The cause of her death was carcinoma in the groin lymph glands.
John next married Caroline Pleasance ODDEN  [MRIN: 4766], daughter of James ODDEN  and Charlotte , on 30 Nov 1882 in Eastborne SSX. (Caroline Pleasance ODDEN  was born in Jul 1839 in Gt Chart KEN and died in Sep 1923 in Chelmsford ESS.)