Rev Canon Francis Edward NUGEE 
- Born: 9 Jun 1855, Wymering HAM
- Marriage (1): Edith Isabel ALSTON  on 13 Oct 1887 in Barnwell NTH
- Died: 20 May 1930, Shangton Rectory LEI aged 74
- Buried: Leicester Cathedral LEI
Nugee: June 9, the wife of the Rev Andrew Nugee of the son.
Bell's Weekly Messenger 16 June 1855.
Nugee Rev Francis Edward 1s Andrew of Wymering HAM clerk. Balliol College matric 20 Oct 1874. Aged 19; BA 1879 MA 1882. Schooled at Eton
Ref: Oxford University Alumni
Francis attended Cuddesdon Theological College and was ordained deacon at Llandaff Cathedral. Taking up a curacy in 1879 in the parish of St German Roath Cardiff, he lodged with the vicar of Roath, his cousin Charles Allen Smythies.
Francis left Roath in 1887 and went out to Zanzibar as part of a University's Mission to Central Africa. The bishopric of Zanzibar had been held since 1883 by Charles Allen Smythies.
Returning from Zanzibar Francis was appointed vicar of Sneinton Nottshire, then Rector of Sheldon Newark, Croxton Kerrial, Munston, and Shangton Leicester, later honorary Canon of Leicester Cathedral.
Nugee = Alston. On the 13th inst at St Andrews, Barnwell, Northamptonshire, the Rev Francis E Nugee, eldest son of the late Rev a Nugee of Wymering, Hants, to Edith Isabel Alston, eldest daughter of the late Rev George Alston, Rector of Studland, Dorsetshire, and granddaughter of the late Rear Adml Sir Eton S Travers, KG
Ref: Essex Standard 22 October 1887.
Memorial to Former Rector.
Those who remember the late Canon Nugee, a former Rector of Muston, and subsequently Vicar of St Martin's Church, Leicester, and later Rector of Shangton, near Leicester, will be interested to learn that a Churchyard cross was recently erected and dedicated to him in Shangton Church. The inscription on the cross reads: "Pray for the soul of Francis Edward Nugee, Priest Canon, born June 9, 1855, died May 20, 1930. Honorary Canon of Peterborough Cathedral, and of the Cathedral Church of Leicester. Rector of Shangton Parish 1918 '96 1930." The inscription on the base, "Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon them." is intended to include all who are buried in the Churchyard. The cross was dedicated by Canon Nugee son, the Rev Andrew Nugee, Vicar of Little Houghton Northants, and his son-in-law, the Rev R P E Richard, Vicar of Bramber and Bidding, Sussex.
Ref: Grantham Journal 20 June 1931.
Nugee. The Rev Francis Edward of Shangton Rectory Shangton Leicestershire died 20 May 1930. Probate London 10 July to Edith Isabel Nugee widow. Effects £16,831 9s 5d.
National Probate Calendar.
Part of this family is sourced from Tree c1950 drawn by Dorothy E.D. Cotes.
Image Courtesy Nugee Family Tree Ancestry.
1. Census: England, 8 Apr 1861, Kemp Town Brighton SSX. Francis E is recorded as a son aged 5 born Wymering HAM
2. Census: England, 3 Apr 1881, The Vicarage Newport Road Roath Glamorgan WLS. Francis is recorded as a border in the home of Charles Smithies aged 25 curate of Roath born Wymering HAM
3. Census: England, 5 Apr 1891, Windmill Lane Snenton Nottinghamshire. Francis is recorded as head of house married aged 35 Vicar of Snenton born Wymering HAM
4. The Francis Edward Nugee Family, Abt 1895, Shelton Rectory.
5. Census: England, 31 Mar 1901, Croxton Kerrial Leicestershire. Francis is recorded as Head of house married aged 46 Clergyman Church of England born Wymering HAM
6. Census: England, 2 Apr 1911, Muston Rectory Nottingham. Francis is recorded as head of an 18 room house married aged 55 a Clerk in Holy Orders born Wymering HAM
Francis married Edith Isabel ALSTON  [MRIN: 502], daughter of Rev George Downing ALSTON  and Isabella TRAVERS , on 13 Oct 1887 in Barnwell NTH. (Edith Isabel ALSTON  was born on 21 Jul 1859 in Studland DOR, christened on 24 Sep 1859 in Studland DOR and died on 11 Apr 1958 in Eastbourne SSX.)