Bertha Alison JOBSON 
- Born: 26 Apr 1858, Wordsley STS
- Marriage (1): Col Ernest Harrold FENN M.R.C.S. C.I.E.  on 25 Aug 1886 in Reg in Kidderminster WOR
- Died: 25 May 1949, Eastbourne SSX aged 91
Bertha was known as Alison to her family ref. Letter E V Fenn 24 Apr. 1946. She was living in Cedar Rd Northampton at the end of her life and was visited by Rev Van Fenn from time to time. His letters refer to Alison being asked to live at Alston Court Nayland with her son but she considered the house too cold in winter. Ref. letter 24 Sept 1945.
Angela Wilson remembers that Alison evenually moved to live at Alston Court late in the 1940's, she was rather an imperious woman whose stick was always at the ready to tap the floor to put matters in order!
Photo - Bertha with her children Olive and Arthur Alston. Origional with Adrian Hopkins 1999.
The marriage of Mr Ernest Harrold Fenn surgeon, Grenadier Guards, youngest son of the late Mr Thomas Harrold Fenn, of Nayland, with Miss Bertha Alison Jobson, younger daughter of the late Mr Robert Jobson and Mrs Jobson, of Churchill Court, Worcestershire, took place at Churchill on the 25th ult.
Subsequently the bride and bridegroom left for the English Lakes. The presents which were numerous and beautiful, included a handsome present of plate from the offices of the Grenadier Guards consisting of a silver bowl, tea and coffee service, desert knives and forks, fish slice and for, and candlesticks; a travelling clock from the medical officers of the regiment; diamond and sapphire ornaments from the brothers and sisters of the bride, silver salvers, salt cellars, fish knives and forks, biscuit box, fruit spoons, muffineers, china ornaments, reading lamps, etc.
Essex Newsman 11 September 1886.
Death Notice : FENN - On May 25, 1949, at 49 Pashley Rd., Eastbourne, Bertha Alison widow of Colonial E H Fenn C.I.E., and the last surviving child of the late Robert Jobson, of Cotwallend. Service at St Marys Church Eastbourne on Monday May 30 at 1.30 pm, followed by cremation at Brighton.
Fenn Bertha A 91 Eastbourne 5h 231
Ref Free BDM
1. Census: England, 8 Apr 1861, Springfield Hse Sandley Hill Rd Dudley WOR. Bertha A is recorded as a daughter aged 2 a scholar born Wordsley STS
2. Census: England, 3 Aprt 1881, Main Rd Amblecote STS. Bertha is recorded as a daughter unmarried aged 22 no occupation born Wordsley STS
3. Census: England, 31 Mar 1901, The Lodge Hagley WOR. Bertha Fenn is recorded as a daughter married aged 40 born Wordsley STS
4. Census: England, 2 Apr 1911, The Euston Hotel St Pancras LND. Bertha is recorded as a wife aged 52 married for 24 yrs with two living children born Wordsley STS
Bertha married Col Ernest Harrold FENN M.R.C.S. C.I.E.  [MRIN: 8], son of Dr Thomas Harrold FENN M.R.C.S.  and Maria ALSTON , on 25 Aug 1886 in Reg in Kidderminster WOR. (Col Ernest Harrold FENN M.R.C.S. C.I.E.  was born on 16 Feb 1850 in Nayland SFK, christened on 24 Mar 1850 in Nayland SFK, died on 24 Nov 1916 in Hagley Lodge Hagley Worcester and was buried in Churchill Graveyard.)