The Kings Candlesticks - Family Trees
Mary [18432]


Family Links

1. Robert BOGG [18431]

Mary [18432]

  • Born: 1766
  • Marriage (1): Robert BOGG [18431]
  • Died: 22 Mar 1819, Sydney NSW Australia aged 53
  • Buried: Old Central Cemetery Sydney NSW

bullet  General Notes:

Mary aged 48, followed her husband to Sydney Australia aboard the Broxbornbury (owner/captain Thomas Pitchar Jnr) 22 Feb 1814 with their son Robert aged 15 and 5 other children, arriving 28 Jul 1814.

bullet  Research Notes:

A Comprehensive record of the voyage of the "Broxbornebury" to Sydney Cove in 1814 set out in "Journey to a New Life" published 2000 by Elizabeth Hook of NSW 2566.

Chapter Three
The Broxbornebury: Journal of a Voyage.
The only surviving record of the journey to New South Wales in 1814, is contained in the Diary written by one of the passengers, Jeffery Hart (J.H.) Bent.(1) In history books, J.H. is portrayed as very arrogant and a troublemaker. The Journal shows another side to the man. The author was sent from England to become the Colony's first Supreme Court Judge, carrying the Charter of Justice. He had been recommended by his brother Ellis Bent, a Judge-Advocate, who had arrived in Sydney in 1809 and was friendly with Governor Macquarie. Jeffery Bent after his arrival had many quarrels with the Governor on many subjects, including his refusal to admit ex-convict Attorneys to practice. Jeffery had a lot of influence over his younger brother Ellis and they soon became a huge problem to the Governor, as they tried to undermine his authority. Macquarie wrote to England saying he wanted the brothers removed from their positions or he would resign. Notice of their dismissal was sent from Britain by Lord Bathurst, but before it arrived Ellis Bent had died. Jeffery Bent totally ignored the letter of recall and continued in his position until December 1816 when Macquarie issued a Government order declaring J.H. Bent to have no authority in the Colony as a Judge of the Supreme Court. He finally left to return to England, where he suggested to the Colonial Office that he should be made Governor of New South Wales. In 1820 he was appointed Chief Justice in Grenada, West Indies. He caused trouble there in 1829 and was transferred to Trinidad and later St. Lucia. By 1836, he was in British Guiana, still in the West Indies and he died there in 1852, aged seventy one.

Life for all on board was rarely, if ever, boring. Originally written as a private account, it covers two hundred and six pages in the original form, but has been condensed by me as follows:

Saturday 10th Feb. Bent arrived at Portsmouth, England at 2pm. Sunday 20th Feb. He boarded the 'Broxbornebury' in the afternoon but there is no wind to sail. Tuesday 22nd Feb. They weighed anchor this morning, before daylight. Bent is upset at "being rushed out of town" by Goulburn. He did not think it was the right time of year to sail, because of the weather. Saturday 26th Feb. The seas were very rough. They nearly hit another ship. Sunday 27th Feb. Impossible to hold Divine Service, seas too turbulent and Rev. Vale (2) is ill. Tuesday 1st March. Very bad storm, at 2am the main top-sail splits. Wednesday 2nd March. Only Irish stew for dinner! The gale increased during the night and six sheep were drowned. The convicts screamed when the gale struck, all on board thought they would not survive the night. Because of the weather, this day the convicts had no food or water. Thursday 3rd March. At daylight a sailor climbed the rigging to repair it and saw land. They tied up at San Antonio on La Corunna Island. The 'Broxbornebury' was refitted with the help of a Royal Navy ship, because Sir John Jamison (3) knew the other Captain. The convicts were in a miserable state, with lots of water below. Friday 4th March. The convicts bedding was taken up to dry and fires lit below, to dry it all out and water was pumped. Bent and Jamison went ashore to call on the Consul. They ordered fresh provisions and spirits for the convicts. Saturday 5th March. Bent left the ship to buy some things for Mrs Greenway. He saw a crowd of people in a market square and was told that an execution was to-take place at 4pm. He said that he couldn't stay, as that was dinner time! That night, some other ship's Captains dined with them on board. Captain Pitchers was eager to continue the voyage. Sunday 6th March. He went ashore with Jamison and Captain Palk of the Royal Navy ship, and went to church.

Monday 7th March. Bent bought 8 1b of chocolate, 8 bottles of Spanish liqueur and 8 Dutch cheeses for Mrs Greenway. Tuesday 8th March. Mr. Horsley (6) had been on shore for three days, staying with Colonel Burke, a relation of his. He hadn't liked Spanish cooking very much, and brought back eggs, onions, lemons and a couple of hares to take to sea. They could not sail this day, as they were waiting for some fresh beef (although they sailed the next day without it). After everyone was asleep this night, the Gunner and his Mate went down into the magazine to fill cartridges. They filled 60 cannon and 100 musketry. Every light was out, shoes were taken off, every precaution taken against sparks. Bent was the only one who knew they were doing this and worried about an explosion, but knew it had to be done. Bent wasn't in a hurry to leave La Corunna. He said the place was full of Portuguese on their way to join Lord Wellington's Army and that the Corunna people were dirty, but not drunkards like most Englishmen. He said that when English sailors get to a country with cheap wine, they make themselves into "strange beasts". During his stay, he never had an invite to any house "good, bad or indifferent". Wednesday 9th March. They weighed anchor at noon. Bent was "stationed" with Mr Horsley. Mr Owen" was the Second Officer on the ship. Saturday 12th March. All the men were marshalled at arms for training, in case of attack. Mr Horsley was in command and Bent acted as his Lieutenant but the crew were very awkward at their posts. Sunday 12th March. No Divine Service was held again, the seas were too rough. The convicts received no food or water the night before or this morning. Religious books were given to the convicts; they had been donated by a Religious Tract Society. Monday 13th March. They should see Madeira today in the distance. Rev. Vale is still sick, as were seven sailors. This day the convicts and the free settlers were allowed on deck. In the night Bent went below to see how the convicts were faring and found too many candles burning, they must have brought plenty of money, as they had personally paid for them. Tuesday 15th March. They are to stop for a while on the Island of Madeira. Wednesday 16th March. One of the sailors, Antonio, is visited on board by his father and two brothers, who were very happy to see him. Thursday 17th March. Jamison and Bent dined with the Island's Consul. Mr Horsley and the Captain supped with a wine merchant. JH remarked that there lots of tropical fruits, many he hadn't seen before. Friday 18th March. Captain Pitcher, Bent, Sir John and Mr Horsley, had been to dinner with one of the locals. On their arrival back on the ship they saw the Gunner's Mate had dreadfully beat one of the women convicts, "almost killed her". Mr Owen the Second Mate, had then struck the sailor, knocking him down, and put him into irons. Mr Horsley was said to be a "little merry" and he had a bit of a fight with Sir John, but in the morning they were good friends again. Saturday 19th March. The Captain and Bent went ashore for a short while. Not long after they pulled anchor and left. Sunday 20th March. Divine Service was held by Rev. Vale on the quarter-deck at 11 am under an awning. The audience were all the women convicts, the settlers and as many of the sailors as could be spared. This was the first Service held on board. Monday 21 March. After breakfast, there was a court-of-inquiry into the conduct of the Gunner's Mate. He was sentenced to 36 lashes and the woman involved was sentenced to be stood in the pillory for two hours. (Why was she sentenced? They waited until the 1st of April to punish her). The sentences were read in front of the assembled crew. Bent didn't watch the flogging, "not very pleasing sight". The seaman yelled loudly and only received half the punishment. Wednesday 23rd March. They passed the island of Teneriffe, with the peak a magnificent sight of clouds and snow. Thurday 24th March. Mr. Horsley made a sketch of the peak and gave it to Bent. While they were having their tea, the convicts were dancing on the deck. The Captain ordered the piper to play for them and they amused themselves till near 9pm, many had fine voices. Friday 25th March. They saw a shoal of porpoises. At noon, the women entertained themselves with dancing, as before. The weather was warm this day. Bent walked the deck in the evening till l pm, before going to bed. Saturday 26th March. Flying fish were seen. The ship was "steering a course to the eastward of the Cape Verde Islands in order to avoid any privateers". They were still training men in case of attack. A little boy amused them on deck, tumbling, his mother a convict for uttering forged notes, his father a free settler on the Surrey. Their name was Gregory (8) and his father did tricks at fairs (an acrobat?), and the boy said he could tumble while on horseback. This was the same boy who had been whipped for stealing water. Sunday 27th March. The sheep were watered, they were eager for it. Water was put into wine bottles and then placed in their mouths. Divine Service was held, "Mr Vale does not improve in his sermons". Monday 28th March. This evening the convicts danced to the piper. The Captain and Sir John played cards with Bent and Mr Horsley. A seaman by the name of Packman (9) was said to be very ill. Rev. Vale saw him and he was moved to the sick bay. "The convict women are very attentive to him ". Tuesday 29th March. This day was washing day, two convict women were employed in this, washing the cuddy (kitchen/dining area) and Bent's berth. All the convicts brought their bedding up on deck to be aired. Wednesday 30th March. Breakfast was at 8am as usual. Before they had tea, but now it's coffee. They saw some sharks nearby. Lunch usually consists of bread, cheese and wine. Tonight the convicts were singing. Thursday 31st March. The day was nice and warm, no rain since leaving Madeira. The convicts danced again. A man called Graham fell down the hatch, not hurt, he was drunk. Friday 1st April. Sightings of various ships were seen from the mast and a number of sharks, some were caught. After breakfast, a court-martial was held for the drunken sailor. He said he had taken a bottle of wine from the hold, but on inspection two dozen bottles were found to be missing. He was sentenced to 24 lashes. The wine had belonged to Sir John. After the punishment, the woman convict who had been attacked on the 21st of March was brought out to be put in the pillory. She grabbed a pair of scissors and stabbed herself, but wasn't badly hurt. Her hands were then tied behind her, but she threw herself onto the deck, hitting her head. She then held her breath, to suffocate herself it was said! The surgeon, Mr McLaclan (10) intervened with the Captain and urged him to forgive her, and said it would be a lesson to the others. The weather was hot, and that night the convicts played games on deck. "It was pleasant to see them so merry, on the whole they are tolerably quiet and easily managed. Captain Pitcher says he would rather have them than soldiers whom he had last voyage, by a great deal". Saturday 2nd April. Washing day again. It has been 65-75 degrees Farenheight (17-25 Celsius) since Madeira. The convicts were "generally very healthy". The night was too hot for Bent to sleep, 81 degrees (27 Celsius). Sunday 3rd April. Sir John caught a shark on a line and when cooked it looked like veal cutlets. Divine Service was held, "the convicts behaved very well". The prisoners were each given an extra pint of water "on account of the heat".

Monday 4th April. Their fresh water "smelt abominably and is not to be drunk without a little brandy to hide the bad taste ". Captain Pitcher states that they will not stop at the Cape of Good Hope for supplies, only in an emergency. Tuesday 5th April. At 1 p.m. a squall came up, the rain fell in torrents. The convicts and crew caught a good deal for fresh water and to wash their clothes, "which was much required by one old woman of the name of Watkins, who had not washed anything since leaving England". She had been convicted of murder at Hereford, and had a boy, which she never left out of her own custody". She was thought to have taken some things belonging to other convicts, but nothing was found on her. Wednesday 6th April. Many of the children suffered from prickly heat. The cook on board for the free passengers was formerly cook to the Earl of Essex. Two women were fighting and the Captain asked Bent to sort it out. Mary Ann Daid,(12) an Irishwoman, was so angry at being badgered by another woman, that she acted like a mad-woman and Sir John "recommended her a straight-jacket". Mary had beaten Alice Tomlinson,(13) who she accused of taking a watch. The theft had been previously attributed to Mary who was punished. Bent believed Mary's story of innocence and only told her to behave in the future. Thursday 7th April. A poor child who has been ill for some time, died last night and was buried this morn, Mr Vale gave service, name of Murphy, the mother an Irish woman who in the evening was howling, in the Irish fashion. Friday 8th April, Good Friday, but no service because of wild seas. Towards evening, black clouds and lots of vivid lightning were seen. A significant argument had occurred between the Captain and Sir John a few days before. Sir John had an opinion about the sails and the Captain told him to "mind his own business". During the day Sir John went below to the sick bay to visit an ill convict and found tarpaulins over the hatchways, put there because of the storm and he told the Captain to take them off, as it was suffocating down there. The Captain told him his place was in his own cabin and did not have his permission to go below decks. Sir John was not happy to be embarrassed in front of everyone and he told the Captain "the cause of humanity took him there, of which the Captain had none". Bent could not see how the two could resolve their differences. Saturday 9th April. Sir John caught another shark. That night the sky was very bright with stars, and Bent walked the deck till midnight. Sunday 10th April. Easter Sunday, Divine Service held. Not much breeze for the sails, only three miles travelled in three days. Monday 11th April. Sir John and the Captain were still not talking. Bent thinks that the Rev. Vale takes offence where none is meant. Tuesday 12th April. The whole ship is getting ready for the arrival of Neptune as they cross the Equator, and Bent doesn't know what to expect during this ritual. Wednesday 13th April. King Neptune (a crew member in costume) arrived at noon. He was supposed to "christen" with water anyone who had not crossed the Equator before. He was assisted by the Armourer's Mate, dressed as Amphitrite. Buckets of water were thrown about and Mr Horsley accidentally gets wet. It was great amusement for all. Sunday 17th April. A bird called a Booby, alighted on the ship and was made a "prisoner". He tried to sleep but would bite anyone coming too close. The ship is still not making much distantance, no wind. Monday 18th April. A sailor fell down the hold while trying to bring up provisions. Wednesday 20th April. A convict called Ann Rowe (14) went sick, part-paralysed. Thursday 21st April. Mrs. Vale was unwell, with red and swollen joints. Bent's dog, Gypsy, attacked a kitten in the cuddy. Bent saved it, but later it was not improved so He had to "break it's neck and throw it overboard". Friday 22nd April. The day before it had been two calender months since they left England. "I heartily wish I had never left it", groaned Mr Bent. The cook scared the women by saying he had dreamt before leaving England, that the ship capsized. This evening a minor disturbance occurred with the convicts as they were getting their wine allowance, but the fight was soon sorted out. Sunday 24th April. Sir John complained of gout. Monday 25th April. Bent grumbled that the Captain was confusing them, sometimes saying they were to stop at the Cape of Good Hope and then saying they are not. Thursday 28th April. Seas are very rough this day. Sunday 30th April. They passed the Martin Vas Islands, which are only two large rocks in the ocean, one with a beach, completely deserted of vegetation. Tuesday 3rd May. The Captain complained that they drink too much wine, 6 or 8 bottles a night, but Bent says there are 12 at the table. Sir John and the Captain seem to have made up their differences. Wedneday 4th May. They saw the sails of a Brig and were worried it might be an American Privateer. The 'Broxbornebury' hoisted her colours but the other ship ignored them. They went to "stations", they were all ready for action. Bent had his pistols all loaded and bayonets were by their sides. The other ship finally raised Portuguese colours and stopped to talk. They were also worried about pirates in the area. The ship had come from Rio and St. Salvador. Thursday 5th May. The Portuguese Brig is sailing in close company. Sunday 8th May. No Divine Service, Rev. Vale was unwell again. Bent thinks the Reverend doesn't like performing the service and is very glad of an excuse not to. The weather is fine, the ship steady, but later in the night the wind becomes very fresh. Tuesday 10th Mary. The convict women were given wine every other day. Mary Ann Daid (McDedy in the journal) usually gives hers away. Thursday 12th May. The Captain has a problem with one of the crew who was "insolent". This started a commotion among the rest of the crew. While the first man was being tied up, the women convicts were ordered below. The sailor received 24 lashings. The men are universally dissatisfied mainly with complaints of not enough to eat. Sunday 15th May. Many of the children were sun-burnt, Mrs Vale was sea-sick and Sir John was healthy but "getting fat" from no exercise. Monday 16th May. By their reckoning, they are still 7,191 miles (11,000 km) from New South Wales. Wednesday 18th May. They go fishing on lines for sea birds, to be cooked like pigeons. Thursday 19th May. The seas were calm and Bent walked in the sunshine on the deck trying to conquer his impatience to leave the ship. The sea birds were cooked into a pie and eaten. Sunday 22nd May. Nearly abreast of the Cape of Good Hope. The settlers were being noisy and Bent said they were nearly as bad as the convicts, if not worse. Monday 23rd May. Harris (l6) the Chief Mate, had been eleven voyages to India and had never passed the Cape in such calm weather. Wednesday 25th May. Mr. Horsley woke Bent to tell him they have sighted a sail, and at 11am they were at "stations". It turns out to be the ship 'Alacuity', a Brig from London to the Cape. Their Captain came on board to dine and sent them some pumpkins, oranges, lemons, two fat sheep and four pigs. They gave him in return four or five gallons of Brandy. Thursday 26th May. Everyone dancing on deck again, very merry. Friday 27th May. A sailor called Roukman (17) was seen to fall overboard from the first sail yard. Everyone was confused and panicking but they managed to turn the ship around and launch a lifeboat, with Mr Owen and two sailors. Roukman was nearly gone, but they found him just in time and started back with him. The women made a great noise and were sent below. The sailor was alive and well, a great praise to Mr Owen and his men. Thursday 2nd June. With no wind, the ship has lost 26 miles (41 km) since yesterday. Friday 3rd June. Water was caught a few days ago for washing. The "convicts are a sad set". One of them, Ann Wardle (18) was found by her companions to have stolen clothes and she was forced to eat her meals alone. Other things have gone missing on the ship, supposedly stolen by the convicts. "They are treated well, but they cannot leave off old habits". Bent thinks they may see New South Wales at the end of this month, he is sick of being on a. ship, "it is a prison, truly enough". Saturday 4th June. A celebration was held for the King's Birthday, with mutton and currant jelly to eat. Sunday 5th June. Rev. Vale preached a service and told the convicts not to swear or teach their children to swear. Bent believes that Sir John is arrogant. Thursday 9th June. Sails were seen, a cargo ship, her colours raised and she tried to come closer but the wind blew her way from them. Friday 10th June. Mr. Harris the First Mate, who had been twenty years in the India service, said he had never seen the weather so bad as this day. Every bit of timber in the ship was shaking and there were great squalls. Saturday 11th June. Bent says the ship is fit, but complained about some of the officers. The Third Officer was not fit for his station and the Quarter-Master in his watch was a drunkard. Three of the helmsmen were incompetent, one was not fit to be trusted in a big gale. The food had been good but not the wine. The sole amusement had been squabbling, of which Bent said he was not fond. The gale continued all night with great violence. Sunday 12th June. After dinner Bent kept the first watch with Mr Harris, till a quarter-of-twelve. Monday 13th June. The rain stopped and the sun came out. The hatchways had been closed for the last three days to stop the rain going down into the convicts and settlers berths. A woman was on deck to dry out some of her clothes and they started to blow away, a chemise and some stockings went overboard. Bent guessed that they will arrive in New South Wales about the 10th of July. The rain started to drizzle again during the night. Tuesday 14th June. This morning at 2 o'clock, a little stranger made it's entrance into this troublesome world, "a fine little girl", the child of a convict woman called Anderson.(19) Wednesday 15th June. Upon awakening, Bent found the sea smooth and calm and the weather improved. A "poor little girl" was scalded while carrying boiling water. Thursday 16th June. A small child who had been ill a long time died from boils and "a species of consumption, and was committed to the deep at 8 o'clock, when few were present". Saturday 17th June. The night before last, a "tremendous motion was perceived in the ship". On inspection the ship was sound and it was thought to have been an earthquake or been struck by a whale. There are fourteen weeks of fresh water left on board at their current usage of 1600 gallons a week. Two babies have died so far this trip and another due to be born any day. Thursday 23 June. This morning another convict, of the name of Thornton, (20) was brought to bed of a fine boy. She had a very bad time. Sir John and the Doctor were both there and it was doubted whether the child or the mother must be sacrificed to save the other. But fortunately they saved both". The child born on Monday was a girl and this one a boy. The two babies that have died were also a boy and girl. Saturday 25th June. During dinner, a sailor in the lookout called "breakers". They all ran out to have a look, but Sir John said it was a school of whales about 1/2 a mile away. They were much relieved. Wednesday 29th June. They performed a burial for a man named Bott (21) who died the night before. He had been ill for a long time with no chance of recovery, except had they made land. The butcher and a Portuguese called Antonio Casilla (22) carried Bott up to the deck for the internment. A handkerchief had been placed over the dead man's face, but when it dropped off, Casilla screamed and dropped the body. After the funeral a sailor, Antonio Jose (23) who had been climbing the mast, went missing. The ship was searched but he couldn't be found. Thursday 30th June. Bent discovered the fate of the missing sailor, who had been a good mariner and good-natured. He had apparently fallen while climbing the rigging, because of some rotten ropes, and no-one was on deck at the time to hear him call out. He would have drowned. Bent says there were 500 people on the ship. (24) Saturday 2nd July. "While my friends in England are enjoying the summer, I am stuck in my wooden box, braving the elements and when they are very hot, I am pinched with cold." Monday 4th July. They are hit with very bad squalls, much rain and hail. In bed was the warmest place this day for Bent, Sir John and Mr Horsley. Tuesday 5th July. Peter Defino (25) an Italian sailor, expressed his belief that Antonio Jose's ghost is on board! He had seen the ghost the evening before in the galley. Another sailor, Antonio Casilla, said he had been asleep below in the dead man's bunk, and the ghost laid a cold hand on him. They were both frightened and would not return below. Wednesday 6th July. Because of no moon and adverse weather conditions, it was decided by the Captain not to go up the eastern coast to Sydney via Bass Strait, but around Van Diemen's Land, although it would make a longer trip. The weather has been bad since passing the Cape of Good Hope. Friday 8th July. This day the Rev. Vale buried a poor woman of the name of Lummes. (26) Her death had been aggravated by the poor weather and violent motion during the gale. Monday 11th July. The sun broke out and it was a nice spring day. Tuesday 12th July. Mr. Harris calculated that they would reach Sydney in eleven days, although Mr Owen thinks it will be the 30th before they land. This afternoon, a poor woman convict who had been ill of consumption died. Her name was Catherine Sweeney (27) a Roman Catholic. Wednesday 13th July. After breakfast, Catherine Swinney was "buried in the deep". They hadn't seen land for 3 months, but hope to see some tomorrow. The first to see it gets a bottle of rum! So everyone will be on the lookout. Thursday 14th July. A court-of-inquiry is held on the Gunner's Mate. The Captain had two dozen bottles of cherry brandy placed in the Gunner's store room. The Gunner's Mate had been found with a bottle of it on him and admitted to drinking 18 of them, but when they looked, there were only two left, so it was decided he had drunk them all. He was sentenced to 22 lashes (one for every bottle), and was to lose his post. Friday 15th July. No wind, they still haven't seen land. Some of the sick are in a dangerous way. Sunday 17th July. The day was very hazy and foggy. They saw a strange sail, some thought she was the 'Surrey', but most thought it was a whaler. About 4pm they sighted land with high mountains. Monday 18th July. A huge thunderstorm hit and there was much lightning. Bent was very anxious for their safety. Thursday 21st July. Bent declared that the convicts were starting to "lose their courage and not knowing what kind of reception they shall meet with, don't much wish to get there". Things are being readied for landing including the passenger lists of the convicts and settlers that would go to the Governor. Friday 22nd July. The Captain's sow (pig) had a litter of ten born yesterday and they were put in the galley to keep warm. About noon. Rev. Vale read the service for a little convict child, name of Howell (28) who died of consumption yesterday. Saturday 23rd July. At noon, they believe they are only 80 miles (128km) from Sydney. Sunday 25th July. Towards evening the strange sail is seen again, about twelve miles away. Monday 25th July. At daybreak, land was sighted and everyone was excited. They had sailed in a current during the night and were now only forty miles from Port Jackson and Sydney. About 2pm they saw the sail of the other ship in the distance. As it got closer they hailed her and were astonished to see it was the 'Surrey' (29) with whom they had sailed from England. The other ship's Captain was found to be ill in bed and delirious with fever. They said they did not need any stores, only medical assistance. Captain Pitcher and the others were told the other ship had lost forty one men and all the others on board were also sick, the Doctor and every Officer. The ship was being navigated by the Boatswain. The people on the 'Broxbornebury' were anxious not to be exposed to the disease although they would stay in convoy with the 'Surrey' to Sydney. Tuesday 26th July. This morning a boat was sent from the 'Surrey' with a man believed to be Major Stewart, to talk. His boat was not allowed to get too close. He told them that after leaving them at the Bay of Biscay, the 'Surrey' stayed nine days in Rio, sailing from there on the 22nd of April. Two weeks later they started to get sick, one of their Officers was now dead. Captain Patterson was dying, the two Mates were in bed and the Doctor was ill. The only one who could navigate was the Boatswain and he had taken ill last night, leaving no one to steer the ship. Captain Pitcher said he would send one of his men to take over this afternoon, one of his best helmsmen, called Nash (30). Nash was given advice to look after his health, some medical supplies and went on board the other ship.The 'Broxbornebury' would keep them company and not desert them. Many of the convict women had their husbands as free passengers on the 'Surrey' and many of the settlers on the 'Broxbornebury' had convict husbands on the other ship. One or two saw their husbands and rejoiced. It is thought they are sixty miles to port. Wednesday 27th July. They hailed Captain Nash on the 'Surrey', as he was now to be called. About noon, they saw the heads of Botany Bay. Signals were sent from here to the Governor in Sydney, telling him of their arrival. A ship came out to pilot them in. At dusk they headed in, but the Surrey was to stay outside all night. Bent's friend Captain Piper, the Naval Officer of the settlement, was on the pilot ship and they delivered dispatches to him from the Governor and Bent's brother Ellis. "I never intended to make it, till were in sight of the town ". A flag was raised as a signal and they worked up the harbour all night, with Bent having trouble sleeping. "Reaching port had the same effect, which anxiety use to have". Thursday 28th July. Bent woke to find them at anchor. Letters were sent between Bent and Governor Macquarie, about the type of reception he was to have on landing. Finally he went on shore via Captain Piper's boat, after a thirteen gun salute, to be met by his brother Ellis and Governor Macquarie's aide-de-camp. "I was thankful to that providence which had watched over our preservation, and put up a prayer for a happy meeting with all my friends and a safe return."
Ref: D Becker NSW Australia


Mary married Robert BOGG [18431] [MRIN: 6635]. (Robert BOGG [18431] was born c12 May 1769 in Lincolnshire ENG, christened on 7 Jun 1779 in Lincolnshire ENG, died on 30 Apr 1829 in Sydney NSW Australia and was buried on 2 May 1829 in Old Cemetery Sydney NSW.)

Copyright © and all rights reserved to Edward Liveing Fenn and all other contributors of personal data. No personal data to be used without attribution or for commercial purposes. Interested persons who wish to share this data are welcome to contact to arrange same and be given the details.

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Website was Created 2 Nov 2020 with Legacy 9.0 from MyHeritage; content copyright and maintained by