The Kings Candlesticks - Family Trees
Robert BOGG [18431]
Mary [18432]
Charles BOGG [18446]


Family Links

Charles BOGG [18446]


bullet  General Notes:

Information on Charles Bogg "Journey to a New Life" by Elizabeth Hook
"Charles was a son of Robert and Mary Boggs and he was born in England. He embarked on the 'Broxbornebury' transport with his mother and siblings. Charles became a shoemaker like his father. Aged about 24, Charles was indicted for stealing 30 pigs from John Kennedy's property at Appin (near Campbelltown) in 1825, but was found not guilty. He appeared again before the Courts in March 1827 with John Norman, charged with assault on a soldier named Query. The newspaper report stated that the two men knocked down the soldier without provocation while drunk and then struck him with a handsaw. Both were acquitted. In August 1827, Charles and a friend Henry Chantler, were charged with stealing a gold watch from Robert Bogg's house (his father). The watch belonged to Mary Ann, the second wife of Robert Bogg. Both men were found guilty and sent for 7 years to the Penal Settlement at Moreton Bay, Qld. Charles was captured in Sydney after having escaped in 1831, but before being taken to the 'Phoenix' hulk in the harbour he disappeared again. He was caught soon after and on his way back to Queensland he again escaped at Port Macquarie, but was seized at Port Stephens and taken back to the hulk in Sydney. The authorities still had plans to send him back to Moreton Bay but Charles petitioned the Governor in December 1831 to be sent to Norfolk Island, but this was refused. This seems a strange request, as Norfolk Island was supposedly the worst of all the Penal Settlements. However, in 1832, nearly 4 years after being sentenced, this was where he was sent and the Colonial Secretary's letter stated:
"Charles Bogg, who has absconded repeatedly from Moreton Bay, is to be forwarded to Norfolk Island, to be worked at the heaviest labour in irons.... no indulgence of the least description will be granted"
Less than 9 months later, Charles was back in Sydney after his term was remitted by the Governor. He went first to the hulk, then to Hyde Park Barracks before release.

Charles Bogg again appeared before the NSW Court of Quarter Sessions in Sydney. Court records show the following:-
"Trial of Charles Bogg and James Davidson Date: January 1833 Charles Bogg & James Davidson were accused of the assault on Peter Auton (or Anton) on 29th October 1832. They had been bailed to appear on the 2nd of November. 20 pounds each was put up as surety by Charles & James. Another 10 pounds fom George Thomas Greenshaw, of Goulburn and 10 pounds from Nathaniel McCulloch, a publican.
The Court heard that Mr Auton, a labourer, was taking a horse & cart to fetch water & when he was at the corner of Castlereagh & Park Streets, he was approached by Charles & James on foot. He stated that the men told him to leave the cart as they wanted to take it away but he refused to give up the reins. This caused Charles to scream "damn his bloody eyes, take a knife to cut his arms off". Eventually after assaulting Mr Auton around the face & hands, the pair made off with the horse & cart.
The record does not state the decision of the Court (Reference - SRNSW Clerk of the Peace Quarter Sessions Records - 4/8456 - Jan 1833 - No. 38)

There are no records of a marriage nor a death and it is not known what happened to Charles Bogg after this date.

Copyright © and all rights reserved to Edward Liveing Fenn and all other contributors of personal data. No personal data to be used without attribution or for commercial purposes. Interested persons who wish to share this data are welcome to contact to arrange same and be given the details.

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Website was Created 2 Nov 2020 with Legacy 9.0 from MyHeritage; content copyright and maintained by