Thomas FENN 
- Born: Abt 1799, Somersham SFK
- Christened: 6 Jan 1805, Somersham SFK
- Marriage (1): Eliza DICKMAN  on 12 Jan 1831 in Somersham SFK
- Died: 15 Nov 1887, Ipswich, SFK aged about 88
- Buried: 21 Nov 1887, St Mary's Somersham SFK
Cause of his death was senile decay.
Thomas held the important position of Somersham Parish Clerk for over 30 years. As Parish Clerk Thomas would not only have filled in the Parish Records when the Vicar was otherwise engaged Thomas's role was an administrative one involving taking of minutes of meetings, dealing with correspondence and other such matters. Any parish taxes, church confirmations, public notices and the duty of summoning others to attend metings would also have fallen in the remit of Thomas.
Thomas died at 14 Victoria St Ipswich.
Thomas Fenn of Somersham
Banns: Bet. 07 - 21 Dec 1828 in St Mary, Somersham, Suffolk
Banns: Bet. 21 Nov - 05 Dec 1830 in St Mary, Somersham, Suffolk
Residence: Bet. 1831 - 1871 in Plot 12 Lower St, Somersham, Suffolk
Occupation: Bet. 1836 - 1882 ; Parish Clerk & Sexton, Somersham
Property: 31 Jul 1839 in Tithe Apportionment - Landowner John Brownsmith ; Arable Land Pightle Plot 20 Somersham, Suffolk
Residence: 31 Jul 1839 in Tithe Apportionment - Landowner Miss Mary Wyard Plot 12;Cottage and Garden with wife Eliza and 5 children Somersham, Suffolk
Property: 31 Jul 1839 in Tithe Apportionment - Trustees of Somersham Town Land; Arable Land Plot 229 Somersham, Suffolk
Census: 1841 in Lower Street, Somersham, Suffolk ; Jobber aged 35
Occupation: 1843 in Somersham, Suffolk; Farmer - birth of son George
Occupation: 28 Apr 1850 ; Huckster, Somersham, Suffolk
Occupation: 23 Oct 1854 as Postman; Bramford (Ipswich) to Little Blakenham, Somersham, Flowton, Offton
Occupation: 1855 ; Postman
Occupation: 1858 in Somersham, Suffolk; Pig Jobber & Postman
Census: 1861 in Somersham, Suffolk Farmer of 6 acres Dealer aged 62
Occupation: 1866 ; Cattle Dealer, Somersham
Census: 1871 in Somersham, Suffolk Parish Clerk aged 71
Property: 1873 in Somersham, Suffolk; Owner 2 acres 39 perches, gross rental £17 10s
Occupation: 1874 in Parish Clerk; Somersham, Suffolk
Event: 1878 in Somersham, Suffolk; Sale of Land to build Somersham School
Census: 1881 in Somersham, Suffolk Farmer employ grandson aged 82
Occupation: 1881 in Somersham, Suffolk; Clerk & Sexton
For further information on Thomas refer Mike Fenn's Website:
1. Somersham Tithe Apportionment: Fenn family land, c1840 period.
Plot 8: Mrs Fenn ( Sarah Fenn nee Rich  and son Abraham ) a cottage & garden of 7 perches Land owner Thomas Scott 1839. See present day (2000) photo on right.
Plot 12: Thomas & Eliza (nee Dickman) Fenn. a cottage & garden of 23 perches
Land owner Mary Wyard 1839
See present day (2000) photo on left, brick house, built on site of Thomas Fenn's home, adjoining the school.
Plot13: John  & Charlotte Fenn (nee Garard) . 1839. A cottage & Garden in Pt of 3 perches.
Plot 13: John  & Sarah  (nee Goodchild) 1851.
Land owner Mary Wyard
Plot 20: Thomas Fenn  a pightle of 1 acre 3 roods 6 perches of arable land, annual rent 11/6d
Land owner John Brownsmith.
2. Somersham Tithe Apportionment: Fenn family land, c1840 period.
Plot 229: Thomas Fenn  1 acre 16 perches of arable land. Annual rent 6/9d
Land owner: Trustees of Somersham Town Land 1839
3. Census: England, 7 Jun 1841, Lower St Somersham SFK. Thomas is recorded as aged 30 a jobber born SFK
4. Census: England, 30 Mar 1851, Lower St Somersham SFK. Thomas is recorded as head of house married aged 50 a farmer/jobber born Somersham
5. Census: England, 8 Apr 1861, Village Somersham. Thomas is recorded as head of house married aged 62 farmer 46 acres & dealer born Somersham
6. Census: England, 2 Apr 1871, Lower St Somersham SFK. Thomas is recorded as head of house married aged 71 Parish Clerk born Somersham
Thomas married Eliza DICKMAN  [MRIN: 2809], daughter of Samuel DICKMAN  and Sarah PEAK , on 12 Jan 1831 in Somersham SFK. (Eliza DICKMAN  was born on 12 Oct 1812 in Somersham SFK, christened on 18 Oct 1812 in Somersham SFK, died on 7 Aug 1884 in Somersham SFK and was buried on 13 Aug 1884 in St Mary Somersham.). The cause of her death was anaemia.