Harriet Emily JULIUS 
- Born: 28 Dec 1842, Farnham SRY
- Christened: 25 Jan 1843, Farnham SRY
- Marriage (1): Rev Arthur William PARKER  on 30 Apr 1868 in Wrecclesham Church Farnham SRY
- Died: 13 Jan 1933, Tunbridge Wells KEN aged 90
Julius Jottings No 2 April 1900
Harriet Emily, daughter of Henry Richard and Mary Ann Julius, born in Farnham, December 28, 1842. Choir mistress (with Mrs Brewin) of Wrecclesham Church. Married at Wrecclesham to Arthur William Parker, April 30, 1868. Has trained with Rowledge Choir since 1871, and taken the lead in most parochial agencies.
Harriet was a resourceful and hard working vicars wife. She organised the choir and played the harmonium in the church (later she became the organist) and appears to have been as energetic as her husband. She set up a branch of the Mothers' Union which had been created not many years before, not far from Rowledge, by Bishop Sumner's daughter-in-law. The Rev. Parker's wife might well have been involved in discussions giving birth to the movement, since her father was a part of the circle around the Bishop.
Mrs. Parker also encouraged church activity in Buck's Horn Oak, then a small hamlet, somewhat remote from Rowledge Church. Mothers' meetings were held there and a certain Captain and Mrs. Heathcote held services in a laundry there until a mission was built (in 1905) which became, in time, a church.
She also set up a Girls' Friendly Society, a Ramblers' Association, a provident club for providing clothing and coal in winter - all of which were administered from the parsonage. Games were organised for the children in the vicarage garden. In 1882, a local branch of the Church Missionary Society was set up.
Ref: Old Julius by Birch & Waight.
Parker Harriet Emily of Glenberrie 7 Court-road Tunbridge Wells widow died 13 January 1933 Probate London 4 May to Florence Ellen Parker and Constance Emily Parker spinsters.
Effects L7334 17s 1d.
National Probate Calendar
Parker family images courtesy of R Waight 2015
1. Census: England, 30 Mar 1851, Rectory Wrecclesham Farnham. Harriet is recorded as a daughter aged 8 a scholar at home born Farnham
2. Census: England, 3 Apr 1881, Rowledge Vicarage Farnham HAM. Harriet is recorded as a wife aged 38 born in Farnham Surrey
3. Census: England, 5 Apr 1891, Woodcroft Red Hill Reigate SRY. Harriet is described as a visitor aged 48 born Farnham
4. Census: England, 31 Mar 1901, Rowledge Vicarage HAM. Harriet is recorded as a wife aged 58 born Farnham.
5. Census: England, 2 Apr 1911, Rowledge Vicarage Farnham HAM. Harriet is recorded as a wife aged 68 she had been married 42 years bearing 6 children all alive she describes herself as a Parochial worker and was born Farnham Surrey
Harriet married Rev Arthur William PARKER  [MRIN: 334], son of Henry John Neil PARKER  and Elizabeth STRIDE , on 30 Apr 1868 in Wrecclesham Church Farnham SRY. (Rev Arthur William PARKER  was born on 24 Feb 1841 in Shirley HAM, christened on 8 Sep 1841 in Shirley HAM and died on 18 Apr 1917 in Tunbridge Wells KEN.)