Thomas Kaomealani NAHIWA 
- Born: 2 Dec 1884, Waimea Kohola Hawaii
- Marriage (1): Ester K PURDY  on 29 Aug 1909 in Paauhau
- Marriage (2): Emma Angeline MAERTENS  on 10 Jun 1922 in South Kohola Hawaii
- Died: 30 Jun 1939, Maui HI aged 54
Hawaii, Births and Christenings, 1852-1933
Thomas Keomealani, (I. H. Nahiwa in entry)
Birth Date: 02 Dec 1884
Birthplace: WAIMEA, KOHALA, HAWAII, HI
Father's Name: I. H. Nahiwa
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:C51892-1
System Origin: Hawaii-VR GS Film number:1014410 Reference ID: 2:1VCR96WCiting this Record
"Hawaii, Births and Christenings, 1852-1933," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FWS2-2B3 : accessed 06 Jan 2014), I. H. Nahiwa in entry for Thomas Keomealani, 02 Dec 1884.
NAHIWA, THOMAS K., hotel proprietor, lawyer, manufacturers' agent, Waimea, Hawaii: born Waimea, Dec. 9, 1884; son of Joseph Nahiwa and Jane Davis (Spencer) Nahiwa; educated at Kamehameha School, graduated 1902; Territorial Normal School, grad. 1906. Began teaching school at Laupahoehoe, and later Kaapahu, Hawaii, 1906; was principal Alae School, Kona, 1907, and principal and supt. Kalihi Boys' Home for Non Leprous Children, 1908; married Esther Purely, at Paauhau, Aug. 29, 1909 (divorced, 1920). Asst. teacher Paauilo school, 1909; principal Makapala school, Kohala, 1910-18; quit teaching in 1919 and bought Waimea hotel, making specialty of tourist trade. Is representative of number of mainland firms as sales agent; has been interested in moving picture exhibitions for number of years; active in National Guard and Boy Scout activities; admitted to practice, district court, 1921.
Ref: Book "Men of Hawaii" About men of note and substantial achievement in the Hawaiian Islands. Volume 1 probably pg 295 under "N"
Thomas is recorded as 26 in the 1920 Census the researcher thinks the actual age was probably 36 which fits.
Image Courtesy of Ka Nupepa Kuokoa - A Hawaiian language newspaper first published 1861.
1. Census: Hawaii USA, 13 Jan 1920, Waimea Valley Sth Kohola Hawaii. Thomas is recorded as a stepson married aged 26 of part hawaiian race literate born in Hawaii as was his parents he is a peddler of dry goods on his own behalf.
2. Census: USA Hawaii, 4 Apr 1930, Kinsale St Sth Hilo Hawaii. Thomas is recorded as head of house married aged 46 a teacher at a public school living in his own home with a mortgage born Hawaii
Thomas married Ester K PURDY  [MRIN: 6936] on 29 Aug 1909 in Paauhau. The marriage ended in divorce.
Thomas next married Emma Angeline MAERTENS  [MRIN: 5905], daughter of Joseph Hermann MAERTENS  and Lydia Sarah DEVERILL , on 10 Jun 1922 in South Kohola Hawaii. (Emma Angeline MAERTENS  was born on 12 Jun 1905 in Hawaii and died on 21 Aug 1999 in Hawaii.)