Dr William Adolphus Frederick BATEMAN MCRS 
- Born: 1835, Selsey SSX
- Christened: 6 Apr 1834, Selsey SSX
- Marriage (1): Annie Ellen JULIUS  on 23 Jun 1863 in St Mathias Richmond SRY
- Died: 11 Mar 1907, Richmond SRY aged 72
Cause of his death was a malignant tumor of the bowel.
Another name for William was CAUDLE.
Williams appears to have been born William A F Caudle then taking the surname Bateman after he entered the home of Frederick Julius as a trainee doctor. Why Bateman is unknown to this researcher in 2019, but Julius his future father-in-law appears to have had rather judgemental religious attitudes and may have disapproved of his son-in-law's father for some reason?
Willm Adolphus Frederic Caudle
Baptism Date 06 Apr 1834
Baptism Place Selsey, Sussex, England
Father William Caudle
Mother Issabella Maria
FHL Film Number 1041562
Willm Adolphus Frederic Caudle
William Adolphy Frederick Bateman
Birth Year: abt 1836
Marriage Date: 23 Jun 1863
Marriage Place: Richmond, St Matthias, Surrey, England
Father: William Caudle
Spouse: Annie Ellan Julius
Royal College of Surgeons of England.
The following gentlemen, having undergone the necessary examinations for the diploma, were admitted members of the College at a meeting of the Court of Examiners on the 8th inst. . . . . . William Adolphus Frederick Bateman LSA . . . . .
London Daily News 9 May 1863.
9th Surrey Rifle Volunteer Corps.
William Adolphus Frederick Bateman , Gent, to be Assistant-Surgeon . Dated 15 June, 1872.
William with Dr E L Fenn carried on the Richmond Practice started by George Charles Julius in 1809, until 19 ?. (Sir Geo Julius records the date as 1912?).
William is said to have rather discouraged suitors for his daughters, as they were accomplished musicians and had a family quartet which he greatly enjoyed!
E L Fenn in a letter to E V Fenn 30 Nov 1897 mentions "I was very sorry to see the death of Archdeacon James Bateman at Zanzibar, he was a pillar in the Central Africa Mission"
56 Williams death after surgery is mentioned in a letter dated 14 Mar 1907 from E L Fenn to H L Fenn.
1. Census: England, 7 Jun 1841, Stoke by Guildford SRY. William is recorded as aged 7 not born in Surrey.
2. Census: England, 30 Mar 1851, Brighton SSX. William is recorded as aged 16 an assistant chemist & druggist in the home of Edward White chemist & druggist unmarried born Selsea SSX
3. Census: England, 8 Apr 1861, Richmond SRY. William F A Caundle is recorded as aged 25 a boarder in the home of George F H Julius unmarried a medical pupil born Selsea SSX
4. Census: England, 2 Apr 1871, Rothsay House Richmond. William is described as head of house aged 37 married a surgeon MRCS LSA LM born Selsey SSX
Additional to the family in the house was Louisa Pilcher described as a boarder a widow aged 53 and a lunatic, plus six staff including an attendant on the lunatic and a wet nurse.
5. Census: England, 3 Apr 1881, Rothsey House Richmond. William is described as head of house aged 47 general practitioner born Selsey SSX
6. Census: England, 5 Apr 1891, Rothsay Lodge Richmond. William is described as head of house aged 57 married a surgeon born Selsey SSX
7. Census: England, 31 Mar 1901, Bridge House Richmond SRY. William is described as head of house aged 67 married a surgeon born Selsea SSX
8. William A F Bateman: Will, 6 Jun 1881.
THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me WILLIAM ADOLPHUS FREDERIC BATEMAN of Rothsay House Richmond in the county of Surrey Surgeon I hereby revoke all testamentary writings heretofore executed by me and declare this to be my last will I give devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate unto my dear wife Annie Ellen absolutely (but as to estates vested in me upon trust or by way of mortgage subject to the trusts and equities affecting the same respectively)
And I appoint my said wife sole EXECUTRIX of this my will and the guardian of my infant children
IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set may hand this sixth day of June one thousand eight hundred and eighty one
W A F BATEMAN
Signed by the said William Adolphus Frederick Bateman as his last Will in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his sight and presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as attesting witnesses
C E DAVIS Ringsfield House Richmond Surrey Gentleman
JOHN CARRINGTON Foxton Mews Richmond Coachman.
ON the 26th day of March 1907 Probate of this Will was granted to Annie Ellen Bateman the sole Executrix.
Bateman William Adolphus Frederick of Bridge House Richmond Surrey died 11 March 1907. Probate London 26 March 1907 to Annie Ellen Bateman widow. Effects L8461 2s 7d National Probate Calendar
William married Annie Ellen JULIUS  [MRIN: 166], daughter of Dr Frederick Gilder JULIUS MD FRCS  and Ellen Hannah SMITH , on 23 Jun 1863 in St Mathias Richmond SRY. (Annie Ellen JULIUS  was born on 29 Jul 1843 in Richmond SRY, christened on 30 Aug 1843 in St Mary Magdalen Richmond SRY and died on 12 Mar 1927 in Durdans St Margarets.)