Lucy Adelaide JULIUS 
- Born: 1864, Southery NFK
- Christened: 15 May 1864, Southery NFK
- Marriage (1): John Lockie CLARK  on 9 Aug 1888 in Southery NFK
- Died: 30 Jan 1936, Hatch End MDX aged 72
- Buried: 3 Feb 1936, St Mary Churchyard Hunstanton NFK
John Lockie Clark
Birth Date: abt 1852
Marriage Date: 9 Aug 1888
Marriage Place: Southery, Norfolk, England
Father: George Clark
Spouse: Lucy Adelaide Julius
Lucy was a legatee under her fathers Will to L1500.00
The parish of Southery was en fete on Thursday, August 9th on account of the marriage that took place that day between John Lockie Clark, Esq., of Oakley Park, Hertfordshire and Miss Lucy Adelaide Julius, youngest daughter of the Rev. A. E. Julius Rector of Southery. As the bride and her family are widely known and highly esteemed throughout the district the event assumed quite a public character. The village was freely decorated with mottoes and flags, of which there were many festoons stretching at intervals across the roadways. The principal features of ornamentation were exhibited in the neighbourhood of the Rectory and the Church, which are not far distant from each other. Upon the lawn in front of the Rectory were two marquees, in one of which were displayed the handsome presents received by the bride and bridegroom, whilst in the other the guests were entertained. The floor was boarded and carpeted, and the tables were decorated with plant and flowers. On either side of the pathways leading to the tent where some fine shrubs in pots, supplied by Mr. James Bird, of Downham. Near the entrance to the Rectory was a triumphal arch of evergreens, bearing the inscription on one side, "Long life and prosperity," and on the other side, "Health and happiness," severally worked in ornamental straw letters upon chocolate cloth. Surrounding the structure were festoons of red, white and blue coloured glass bucket-lamps, which when lighted at night, presented an exceedingly pretty appearance. Over the churchyard gate was another triumphal arch, bearing "God bless the happy pair" and "This day I will bless you." The pathway from the Vicarage across the public highway to the north entrance to the church was covered with matting, and the aisle of the newly renovated church to the communion rail was laid with carpeting. Upon the holy table was a cross of white lilies, marguerites, daises, and jasmine; and upon the retable two vases of marguerites, white foxgloves and ferns. Shortly after 11 o' clock the band of the Ely Volunteers (H Company), under the leadership of a Bandmaster J. Joselyn, met upon the Rectory lawn, where they played for about half an hour. The bridegroom, attended by his bestman (Mr. H. Clark, of Thornhill Park, Sunderland), arrived at the church at 11.30, and soon after the bridal procession left the Rectory. The bride who was accompanied by her father, wore a dress of rich white corded silk, trimmed with a handsome old point lace scarf, with bouquets of orange blossom and fruit. In her hair were entwined orange blossoms, a wreath of which caught up her tulle veil. She carried a handsome bouquet composed of white flowers - stephanotis, tuberoses, eucharis, gardenias, bouvardias, and roses - bordered with maidenhair fern. The bridesmaids were Miss Blanche Julius, sister of the bride, who wore a cream-coloured Indian muslin dress, and with coffee - - - and apple green ribbon, with stringless fancy white bonnet trimmed with Marochal Niel roses, Miss Jessie Virtue, Miss Ethel Virtue, Miss Ethel Julius and Miss Ella Brewin, cousins of the bride (who were attired similarly to the chief bridesmaid, but wore large Leghorn hats trimmed with white tulle, apple green ribbon and Marochal Niel roses). Each bridesmaid carried a posy of choice mixed flowers (carnations, mignonette, roses and lilies) and solid silver scent bottles, elegantly hand-painted, with forget-me-nots, these being presents from the bridegroom.
The groomsmen were Messrs. H. Clark, A. H. Leigh, W. M. Blyth, G. Clark, and R. Culliford. As the procession entered the church, the choir sang "The voice that breathed o'er Eden." The Rev. H. S. Miles, Vicar of All Saints, Oakley Park, Hertfordshire, and the Rev. Canon Beechy, Rector of Hilgay, officiated, and the bride was given away by her father. The psalm "God be merciful unto us" was chanted by the choir and the large congregation. At the conclusion of the ceremony Miss Tearle played a lively march upon the organ, and the band performed the Royal Wedding March, whilst Mr. and Mrs. Clark left the Church amidst tangible proofs of goodwill from hundreds of spectators who lined the pathway to the Rectory. Breakfast was served in the marquee. The wedding cake was supplied by Mr. W C Smith, of High Street, Lynn.
The company included the bride and bridegroom, the Rev A E Julius, and Miss Blanche Julius, Misses Jesse and Ethel Virtue, Miss Ethel Julius, Miss Ella Brewin, Messrs H Clark, A H Leigh, W M Blyth, G Clark, R Culliford, Ven. Archdeacon and Mrs Nevill, Mr and Mrs E C P Hull, Rev H S Miles, Rev Canon and Miss Beechey, Rev A S, Mrs and Miss Latter, Rev S and Mrs Churchill, Rev J and Mrs Crosse, Rev H Smith, Rev J McGill, Rev and Mrs Rogers, Mr R W E Gibbon, Miss Kate Julius and Mr Leslie, Dr. Mackintosh, the Misses Tearle, Mr and Mrs Peacock, Miss Steele, Rev E R, Mrs and Miss Willford, Mr E H Willford, Rev A W Hertzberg, Rev H C Price, &c. The band played upon the lawn during the repast. At its close Mr E C P Hull of Southery House, Earlswood Common, son-in-law of the Rev A E Julius, proposed "The Bride and Bridegroom", and Mr J L Clark returned thanks, and proposed "The Bridesmaids," for whom Mr H Clark replied, and then gave "Our host, the Rev. A E Julius." Other toasts were given. At 3 o'clock the happy pair departed for Scotland to spend the honeymoon. During the afternoon a garden party was held at the Rectory. In the evening the grounds were illuminated by hundreds of coloured glass lamps, and the proceedings of a happy day, during which the Rev. A. E. Julius and his family did their utmost to please everyone, concluded with a dance.
The Downham Market Gazette
Julius Jottings No 3 October 1900
The Clarks are moving from Southampton Lodge, Oakleigh Park, before Christmas.
Julius Jottings No 4 Jan 1901.
Mrs J. L. Clark having left Southampton Lodge, Oakleigh Park, is residing for a few months at number 55 Lancaster Gate, London, W.
Julius Jottings June 1901 No 5.
Mrs J. L. Clark and her family having left Lancaster Gate, living for a time at The Hall, Bushey, Herts.
Their marriage date may have been 1886?
1. Census: England, 2 Apr 1871, Church St Southery NFK. Lucy is recorded as a daughter aged 7 born Southery
2. Census: England, 3 Apr 1881, Church St Southery NFK. Lucy is recorded as a daughter aged 17 a scholar born Southery NFK
3. Census: England, 5 Apr 1891, Southampton Lodge Friern Barnet MDX. Lucy is recorded as a wife aged 27 born Southery NFK
4. Census: England, 2 Apr 1911, The Elms Watford Herts. Lucy is recorded as a wife aged 47 married 22 yrs 4 children all living born Southery NFK
Lucy married John Lockie CLARK  [MRIN: 305], son of George CLARK Gent of Friern Barnet  and Jane LOCKIE , on 9 Aug 1888 in Southery NFK. (John Lockie CLARK  was born on 6 Jan 1851 in Monkwearmouth Durham, christened on 29 Dec 1852 in St Peters Monkwearmouth Durham, died on 23 Oct 1935 in Homefields Hunstanton NFK and was buried on 26 Oct 1935 in St Mary Churchyard Hunstanton NFK.)